We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using Viettel SIM

Bangkok, Thailand
2 posts
Using Viettel SIM
Save

Hello,

I bought a Viettel SIM and I don't know how to use it (#101* says I have 100k đ).

1) How can I change the language to English? I fould some instructions (call 900, then #4#2#1) - it doesn't work.

2) How can I order a data package? If I send a request to 191 I get this:

"Theo yeu cau cua Bo Thong tin Truyen thong, tu ngay 15/11 Viettel dung chuong trinh khuyen mai nay. Quy khach bam*098# de biet cac chuong trinh CSKH danh rieng cho Quy khach. Tran trong."

Thank you.

Philadelphia , PA
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
33 reviews
47 helpful votes
1. Re: Using Viettel SIM
Save

Please let us know if you are in Vietnam now.

I assume you are.

If so, head for a local Viettel shop, and they should be able to change your phone to English.

Also, many hotels, guest houses, and travel shops have young workers who are bilingual, and they could help.

Data package - again, a local Viettel shop should be able to set that up for you.

I hope this helps.

If it doesn't, please let us know, or send me a PM here at TA.

Steve in the USA

Bangkok, Thailand
2 posts
2. Re: Using Viettel SIM
Save

I have asked a local IT student to order a data packet. He called #098* , fiddeled with the menus and after a few minutes gave up. :)

But somehow I found a solution: it seems like packages Mimax90 and Mimax1.5 are gone. This page doesn't list them anymore:

vietteltelecom.vn/di-dong/…goi-cuoc-3g_67

So I sent "Mimax" to 191 and it worked, I got 600MB. For some reason it cost me only 50k instead of 70k, I guess these are the wonders of using Viettel.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
52 posts
3. Re: Using Viettel SIM
Save

You have to change language of your phone. May you have the locals doing it?

As I know, all Viettel service package has been closed from 15 Nov and it's still closed until Tet holiday, so it's the reason why you recieved that announce from Viettel

-MyDestinationVietnam-

Philadelphia , PA
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
33 reviews
47 helpful votes
4. Re: Using Viettel SIM
Save

Glad you got your data packet figured out.

Were you able to get your phone changed to English?

If not....

The Viettel shop on Lo Su Street helps me do this. They usually have at least one assistant there who speaks reasonably good English.

Steve in the USA

5. Re: Using Viettel SIM

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 02, 2017
$USD
United States

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.