We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kata or Karon beach?

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Kata or Karon beach?

What beach would people recommend to stay at in the middle of january? My 3 female mates and I, in our early 20s are looking for somewhere relaxing to stay for the last 2nights of our travels what are your thoughts?

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,640 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kata or Karon beach?

A purely personal choice. I like Kata better, others will like Karon better.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kata or Karon beach?

I'm also a Kata fan, more relaxing than Patong but with still a good choice of bars and restaurants, if you want to stay at a hotel that is directly on the beach then check out the Kata Beach resort.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,820 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kata or Karon beach?

Kata also. Karon is too long and too fragmented.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,640 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kata or Karon beach?

Time for the Karon fans to weigh in :)

Queensland...
Level Contributor
725 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kata or Karon beach?

I love Karon Beach. We are heading back for our fifth time in April. We have stayed in Kata before too but we weren't overly impressed. Karon has a fantastic selection of hotels, great restaurants (Ging, Bai Toey, the popular Red Onion - to name but a few), plenty of bars for people watching or a couple of relaxing drinks (Kenny's Aussie Bar, No Name, Little Mermaid). Karon Markets are on in the temple grounds on Tues and Sat evenings. It's a 10-15 minute tuk tuk ride into Patong.

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kata or Karon beach?

Kata for me too,has a much better and safer beach and some really cool bars overlooking the beach,Karon has none.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kata or Karon beach?

They are both great .But i like Kata better ,And Kata noi even more. I find the village behind kata a little more cohesive than karon. But we are splitting hairs here. If you plan to Go to patong much ,karon is closer and a cheaper tuk tuk ride.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
4,000 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kata or Karon beach?

I also recommend Kata beach. Apart from the many good restaurants etc, there is a great little bar (Ska bar) under the big tree on the southern end of Kata Beach where you can watch the fire dancers. Also the Kata Surf House located next to Club Med is a great spot to hang out. Both establishments tend to attract the younger crowds.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kata or Karon beach?

Ringo I know the restaurants around ska bar and around the Kata beach resort. How far is it to say dino park and can you walk it?

Thanks

Linda

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kata or Karon beach?

Maybe Ringo would know better .But i think from Ska bar to Dino park would take 20 minutes walking.