We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wang Talang Lapidary Gem Factory- any idea?

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
116 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Wang Talang Lapidary Gem Factory- any idea?

We are planning to visit Wangtalang Gem factory during our next visit at Phuket by the end of next month.Do anyone share their experience about Wang Talang, mean about their product authenticity,pricing and if bargaining will be wise before buying anything. Is their pricing will be at per with other gems/pearl showroom at phuket or their price is at the higher side as compare with market?

Any idea and experience will be helpful for us.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
793 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wang Talang Lapidary Gem Factory- any idea?

Just remember, if introduced by a driver they will receive 30% commission and gasoline stamps.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
116 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wang Talang Lapidary Gem Factory- any idea?

Is there is any bargaining option?

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wang Talang Lapidary Gem Factory- any idea?

There's always a bargaining option at Gem factories but get all the info you can before you buy from these places.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wang Talang Lapidary Gem Factory- any idea?

We didn't buy but they were certainly prepared to bargain with us.

We mainly looked at Gold and Silver jewellery without gemstones, i.e. chains, rings and earings. We would get them to tell us how many grams the item weighed, work out how much that worked out to in raw materials, then haggled over the price for the amount of work that went into the item. Gold is very roughly $50 per gram so a 24 carat gold chain that weighed 8 grams would have about $400 of gold (or about $180 if pure silver), so if it's 18 carat, that would be 3/4 of that or about $300 of actual gold (or if sterling silver 92.5% = $165). I can't remember what carat they use in Phuket for gold, but you can work it out whatever it is. So for a plain gold or silver chain without much labour involved in its manufacture, you'd decide if the work carried out was worth the asking price. Plus of course you'd compare to what it would cost back home, or in Singapore if you flew thru there. If you had some idea of what the gemstone itself was worth, you could apply the same principle.

You get cetificates of authenticity (or should), and anecdotally, the Thai government tries to get sellers to take these seriously. If you get back home and get the items valued and find the description to be incorrect, you may have some comeback. But only if they have described it incorrectly eg if they say your diamond is V.V.S.1 and you find it's V.S.2, then you have a claim. The value they place upon the item for their workmanship and their profit margin is entirely up to them, so if they say it is V.V.S.1 and it is, and you paid too much comapred to your valuation at home, bad luck.

I have heard that they often heat gemstones in Thailand to improve the colour, and that they often don't use Thai gems, but rather imported gems. But really, does that matter ? If you are happy with how it looks, and happy with the price, just buy it. Maybe question them about the clarity or colour grading so they know you have some idea.

Don't forget to claim back the VAT. And insist on your COA.

Below is a link to a typical page of info for buying Thai gemstones. There are lots like it on the web.

http://www.sawadee.com/thailand/gems/

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
116 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wang Talang Lapidary Gem Factory- any idea?

What a nice informative post. ......Thanks gocdaworld. It will help us.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wang Talang Lapidary Gem Factory- any idea?

I'm sorry that my response is too late but it might help someone else. We visited this emporium in September 2012. As I am a designer jeweller I am always interested in buying loose stones that I can set back in my workshop, so I was keen to go. I bought several gems and have no reason to believe they were anything other than genuine but I must add I'm a silver smith not a gemologist. However, while we were there my husband bought me a bracelet clasp to include in my jewellery making. It was stamped 92.5, which is the universal stamp for sterling silver (being 92.5% silver and 7.5% copper) and this piece was not silver. When I got home I tested it in case I was wrong but sadly I was right. I was very disappointed that a store of this size and turnover would do this. It's probably worthwhile to know that anyone can buy hallmark stamps online and they don't need to prove anything. The piece we bought was only slightly cheaper than buying it in the west and you can account for a marginal discount as their labour is less expensive. But remember that precious metals are international commodities and are traded just like hard currency so if you see something cheap you can bet it's fake. If a trader has a kilo of silver at half price why wouldn't he/she jump on a plane a sell it overseas, as it's just like euros or US dollars.

7. Re: Wang Talang Lapidary Gem Factory- any idea?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 12, 2014