We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

National park encroachment issues.

Pittsburgh pa
Level Contributor
57 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
National park encroachment issues.

I have booked a couple nights at the Pullman Phuket Arcadia for January. I have been reading that there are National Park encroachment issues with this resort and the government. Concerned about staying there. Any other information?

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
772 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: National park encroachment issues.

Never heard about it....

Karon is not located in any national Park so there is not ant reason why they should charge you a Park fee to stay there? Sounds strange...please keep us posted. :-)

Phuket
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
3,595 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: National park encroachment issues.

There are some resorts being demolished off Phuket. If any resort has encroached on to National Park land there may be similar actions.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,397 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: National park encroachment issues.

"Never heard about it....

Karon is not located in any national Park so there is not ant reason why they should charge you a Park fee to stay there? Sounds strange...please keep us posted. :-)"

The talk (and question) is about Pullman Arcadia, the new hotel up North, not Hilton Arcadia in Karon. And yes, there appear to be issues with it. How this is going to play out, really nobody knows. The latest report is that there will soon be charges filed, after that the hotel has 90 days to appeal a demolition decision.

In my estimation that woukd mean that in January you'll for sure be ok, these things won't develop really fast.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,393 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: National park encroachment issues.

"these things won't develop really fast"

Bangkok Post reported on Aug 25th the start of demolition of three resorts illegally built on Koh Samet. It took over 15 years to get this far after the initial charges were filed in 1997.

Edited: 8:53 pm, August 26, 2013
Pittsburgh pa
Level Contributor
57 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: National park encroachment issues.

Thanks for the opinions.

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
772 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: National park encroachment issues.

Sorry I thought it was in Karon...... :-(

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,397 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: National park encroachment issues.

"Bangkok Post reported on Aug 25th the start of demolition of three resorts illegally built on Koh Samet. It took over 15 years to get this far after the initial charges were filed in 1997."

In the present climate I don't see it taking that long. But January 2014 will still be fine :), would not want to change the 2014 to 2015 though.

Pittsburgh pa
Level Contributor
57 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: National park encroachment issues.

Yes....I am sure January would have been fine...but its my honeymoom and I personally don't feel like worrying about the issue. So I've switched to Mom Tri's.

9. Re: National park encroachment issues.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, August 29, 2014