We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phuket=Fake?

Oslo
Level Contributor
27 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Phuket=Fake?

After 2weeks in Phuket, first at Kamal and then at Kata Beach, and I must say I am disapointet... Are there really no place in Phuket that has som authenticity? Because I didn't find it...

All I found was fake people, fake goods, fake smiles and people trying their best to get my money.

This was my second time to Phuket, and I will not go back. I feel there are other places in the world that deserves both my money and my time much more than Phuket.

Or can you change my mind?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
284 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phuket=Fake?

Why don't you try one of the islands? They are a bit less hectic and maybe more suited to you.

I understand what you mean about Phuket but that is all part of its charm to me.

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Phuket=Fake?

hi mimi

phuket is simply a tourist destination-- personally i love the place

its like crazy town anything can happen

if you want to see the real thailand you need to avoid phuket or @ least patong and travel around non tourist areas in thailand

meet real thais

Level Contributor
65 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phuket=Fake?

I would have to agree, I loved every part of Thailand I have visited, except for Phuket. My favorites so far are: Koh Chang, Koh Mak, Chiang Mai, Railay, Kanchanaburi, Hua Hin. They're not as 'off the beaten track' as I would like but have been great start and I can't wait to see more. I know if Phuket was the first & only place I went I may not have returned!

I would suggest trying a few different places to understand that Thailand is not just Phuket.

Phuket Town...
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Phuket=Fake?

You could also travel a little away from the busiest beaches at Phuket. Explore the island like the old part of Phuket Town and some of the smaller beaches.

Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Phuket=Fake?

Fake people ??

what the ...

fake good yes I will agree 100% but thats well known when any 1 travels to a asian destination.

The only fake people would be thr women that act like there happy to have men twice there age hang off them.

but the thai people in phuket it self are far from fake imo. There the most happy honest out spoken people u will meet and they do all this with a smile on there face.

its quite simple if u didnt like it dont got back based on us swaying ur decision tourists negative is very obvious over there....

Macksville...
Level Contributor
395 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phuket=Fake?

Mimi,, happy not to have you back there,, the Thai people are not fake,, they are very friendly and genuine,,,,Yes its touristy,, but we love it

Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phuket=Fake?

Phuket is the most touristy of all Thai destinations but surely if this was your 2nd trip you must have known that, i'm curious to know what's changed since your first visit and when that was.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Phuket=Fake?

This bit was a bit weird

" Or can you change my mind?"

Phuket Thailand
Level Contributor
3,664 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Phuket=Fake?

Hi Mimi. Did you spend your whole time in Kata/Kamala, or did you go further afield? Did you explore Phuket at all? Go on any day trips? Visit any nearby islands? There is so much to do on Phuket, I would be interested to know how much you saw.

Sorry to hear you did not have a good time, just the same.

Mark.

Phuket Sail Tours.

ps, found this comment in your review of a restaurant a bit surprising: 'This is not a cheap place so be prepared for about 200 bath per dish.' You do highly recommend the restaurant, so it is a nice review.

Oslo
Level Contributor
27 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Phuket=Fake?

Thanks all of you for your replies.

I only stayed in Phuket ( Kamala and Kata Beach) and I enjoyed the hotels and some of the restaurants there, and we did have a good time during our 2 weeks, but overall Phuket for me was a disapointment.

For me to travel all the way from Europe to Asia, I need to see more than just a resorthotel, a good restaurant etc. Otherwise I can find a good resorthotel here just 4 hours away with palm-trees and warm weather.

I was looking for something more.

We took a daytrip to the Big Buddha, the Wat Chalong, to Siam Safari, I have earlier been to Phanhg Na and I have travelled by car around the island.

I went to big shopping centers, night markets and the general streets. But it just didn't feel authentic......There was no charm, just a lot of haggle about money.

I understand people who live there are happy and don't see why I am disapointed, and I don't mean to disrespect anyone, but I think I will travel to another island next time..