We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

phuket richard

melbourne
8 posts
Save Topic
phuket richard

we are a party of 4 adults and 6 teenagers arriiving in phuket 14th june for 2 weeks staying at the patong merlin hotel phuket.we would like to visit the rehab centre ,do snorkelling and day trips around the island.Richard can you help us.Also what power adaptor is required for Patong area round or flat plug?

thanks..

Roseville...
Level Contributor
66 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: phuket richard

I will also be in Phuket for the first time in June at the Patong Merlin. For a day trip, you may want to consider a tour of Phang Nga Bay with Sea Canoe (www.seacanoe.net). I have booked a day tour of Phang Nga in a self-paddle kayak based on recommendations of this company by a couple of friends and a from a well-known travel show here in the U.S. For about $78 USD, the tour includes pick-up/return at your hotel and lunch. They also do motorized rafts if you are not into self-paddling. FYI. Good luck.

Boston
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: phuket richard

Hmm, you are going there during the rainy season. I was there in April and we had sporadic shower during the day, but not long, just about 10-30 min. now and then.

The voltage is 220V. And, you can buy the adaptor in a local convenience shop. They are open until 1am.

Pang Nga bay -James Bond Island/Muslim village/Monkey cave is one day trip 8 hours. No snorkeling!

Phi Phi Island a half-day trip 7 hours, has 2-3 snorkeling spots on its routes. When you get to Monkey Beach, please, teach your children NOT TO STEP ON CORALS. That really upset me as the thai guides did not mention anything about its protection.

The both trips are the must in my opinion. And, going to local Fanta SEA at night is not really recommended but the children miight have different opinions.

have a nice time!

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,998 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: phuket richard

Hi Gaks, Can i just recommend taking water shoes with you you can pick them up from Big W for $8.00AUD. You want slip on the boats & save your feet from getting cut if you do tread on the coral. We enjoyed the night out at fantasy but were prewarned about the dinner so just went to the show. We took our 3 teenagers & they really enjoyed the night there is a lot happening. I think it is something everyone should see once. CJ

Ao Chalong / Rawai
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: phuket richard

Hello Gaks

The only real problem presented with a group the size of yours will be things such as transportation when you decide to do the smaller trips and things like going out to different places for dinner other then close to your hotel. At least the Patong Merlin is located in a very centralised place in Patong and close to loads of dining and shopping options.

Visiting the rehab center together as a group down in the South of the island is no problem and as long as you can be availiable when I have a day off scheduled from work to visit the camp I will pick you up and drop you back at the hotel for no charge.

In regards to the electric some hotels that have renovated since the tsunami have changed over to 2 prong flat plugs but most of the older resorts still use 2 prong round for the 220 volt soccets. The adappters are very cheap here and can be found in any gereral or hardware store and the reception or bell captain at the hotel can usualy tell you the closest place to your resort to buy them.

You can view some great family and group pictures of the rehab center and other family activities in these great photo sharring links sent in by other "tripadviser" forum members at

jenso.shutterfly.com/action/…

and the 11 family member group from "Joolsss" including their snorkeling and fishing trip where they caught 33 tuna.

share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome…

Regards From Phuket

Richard & Megumi

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,103 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: phuket richard

Hi gaks,

Voltage in the Patong Merlin is 220v and tthe hotel will provide you with an adaptor if you ask. It is a very friendly place hope you enjoy your stay, we certainly did. THey make lovely frozen pina coladas at the pool bar.

Mike from wellington

melbourne
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: phuket richard

Thank you for all the great advice from members we have found this forum to be very helpful in planning our holiday.Thank you Richard for your offer to take us to the rehab centre that would be fantastic, had a look at the photos and would love to do all these things if we have time.How do we make contact with you we arrive on the 14th and leave on the 27th june.

thanks once again

7. Re: phuket richard

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, August 14, 2009