We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Under 21 - Duty Free Alcohol From Australia

Queensland...
Level Contributor
725 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Under 21 - Duty Free Alcohol From Australia

Hi All - hoping someone can advise.

Our 19yr old son is travelling to Phuket in May. I understand legal drinking age in Phuket is 21 does that mean that they won't be sold duty free alcohol at the airport to take with them? Just don't want them being told it's OK to take in to have it taken away in Phuket.

Thanks in Advance

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,695 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Under 21 - Duty Free Alcohol From Australia

Even if he is allowed to purchase it before leaving he is still responsible for complying with the laws in Thailand when he arrives so probably runs the higher risk of it being confiscated when clearing customs on arrival.

Brisbane...
Level Contributor
63 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Under 21 - Duty Free Alcohol From Australia

Is the legal drinking age really 21, Ive never heard of this before?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
228 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Under 21 - Duty Free Alcohol From Australia

I could be wrong and if I am I am sure someone will correct me but I was under the impression in thailand the amt of alcohol you bring in is according to passport not age which in theory means a child can bring booze in as long as they hold their own passport.... But I could be wrong......mandy

Brisbane...
Level Contributor
63 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Under 21 - Duty Free Alcohol From Australia

Is the legal age 21 to drink in bars/pubs in thailand?

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Under 21 - Duty Free Alcohol From Australia

Hi

Thailand drinking age is 20years not 21 as stated. There are some contradict about bringing alcohol into Thailand some say you can as long as the child has own passport some say no. But I also have impressions that if your child have own passport but under 20 years of age then he/she aren't allowed to bring in alcohol. but I could be wrong.

Hopfully some one with this sorts of experience can give you input and clear answer.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,397 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Under 21 - Duty Free Alcohol From Australia

My impression: on the website it states 'allowed for personal use'. Since a 19 year old can not legally use spirits she can't legally import it duty free.

But that maybe too logical here.

It could be taken away in Phuket, but chances of that happening are very small IMO.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,695 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Under 21 - Duty Free Alcohol From Australia

If the person is intending to bring in alcohol for their own consumption and are under the legal age whatever it is, they are not likely to let the legal age stop them consuming it if it is not confiscated. Nor are they likely to be deterred by the legal age when they go in bars. The question is the same in whichever country. Do I drink if I am under age? That's up to the drinker and his/her parents/guardians taking into account the penalties, if any, if caught!

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Under 21 - Duty Free Alcohol From Australia

As said, the legal drinking alcohol minimum age is 20

East Maitland...
Level Contributor
128 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Under 21 - Duty Free Alcohol From Australia

What are the consequences of caught drinking underage in Thailand, just curious?

My 19 year old cousin will possibly be celebrating her older sisters 21st in Patong in May with her sister and myself.

I will definitely be warning her of the risks, but ultimately the choice is up to her if she decides to drink, would like to let her know what the consequences are if by chance she gets caught up in a raid.

Nelson, New Zealand
Level Contributor
199 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Under 21 - Duty Free Alcohol From Australia

As Arandora said do you want to take the chance of your son being caught drinking illegally in Thailand?

Myself and my 2 teenagers of 19 yrs were in Thailand in January there's no way they would have gone out drinking whats the point?

They can drink legally here in NZ they dont need booze so much that they need to consume it illegally while on holiday.

But thats just me and my kids each to their own.