We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days in Phuket too long?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
240 posts
220 reviews
Save Topic
7 days in Phuket too long?

I am in a quandary here. Will be leaving LA this November for 3 weeks in Asia - 4 days Tokyo, 4 days Bangkok, 7 nights Phuket (timeshare exchange), then 3 days - possibly Chaing Mai or maybe back to Bangkok for more. I do not swim or snorkel, so need need for that in Phuket. More interested in cultural things, but also love to relax. Should l I make the 7 nights in Phuket really just 6 then go onto Chaing Mai, or should I skip Chaig Mai altogether and go back for more in the surrounding areas of Bangkok? Please advise. I think this will be a great tip, and my week in Phuket is well timed in the middle of so much sightseeing.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 days in Phuket too long?

Timeshare exchange has its good points ,however it also limits you in certain ways....

I have spent a month at a time totally in Phuket taking as much in as I can...

I think your time spent wherever and however long you wish is your choice....

If you are free and easy,then I would come and go anywhere and at anytime I please....Tho' 7 days is also limited.....

It all depends on what you would like to see,experience in one place...

Chiang Mai is beautiful and a must see/do is the Elephant Nature Park....A truly wonderful experience.....!!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
399 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 days in Phuket too long?

We spent 5 days in Phuket and 4 days in Chiang Mai in November 2012. I woud say take a day from Phuket and add to Chiang Mai.

Edited: 5:09 pm, January 04, 2013
Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 days in Phuket too long?

Agree with Dezign, drop a day off Phuket and spend the 4 days in Chiang Mai.

Whilst in Bangkok make sure you do at least a day trip to Kanchanaburi.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 days in Phuket too long?

Don't swim or snorkel. Thats a shame . Thats what makes Phuket and southern Thailand so great . You have to at least dip your feet in that beautiful water . If not ,why even bother with Phuket . ?? . How about a side trip to Ankor wat.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
240 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 days in Phuket too long?

Funny I go to t Caribbean and Mediterraean on timeshare exchanges frequently and have a wonderful time all w/o getting wet. And the same thing will happen n Phuket., as it also happened in the South Pacific. Angor Wat -what a great idea to add to the mix! Am reading there are no direct flights from Phuket w o going thru BKK.. Any updated info here? Have had this exchange in the bag for the last 18 months and am looking forward to Phuket very much. The resort is 5 star and wonderful.

Phuket
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
3,851 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 days in Phuket too long?

Phuket has a lot to offer. Explore Old Phuket Town and visit some of the lessor known temples, the Gibbon rehab and the nearby waterfall, Rang Hill in Phuket Town, Supercheap Shopping Center (where the locals shop) are some of the things to see.

Too much time in Phuket is barely enough.

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
337 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 days in Phuket too long?

make it 4 days in Phuket and 6 days in Chiang Mai instead, i mean if you are not really a beach person

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
240 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 days in Phuket too long?

Well, when you pay like $1,000 for a timeshare each year to use it, the idea is not to pay that kind of money the NOT use it. I made an adjustment to the departure date from Thailand for free (United's res system made a mistake, so the change was free), so I wil stay the full 7 nights in Phuket in addition to 4 nights in Caing Maai now. Its a 22 day trip so I will have seen quite a lot.. . Looks like some great sightseeing there! And I've never seen the Indian Ocean or taken a cooking class while travelling. Something for everybody. Thanks!

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,159 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 7 days in Phuket too long?

There is so much to see in Phuket if you look for it.

Whilst you don't see the Indian Ocean as that is not the sea where Phuket is there are some super cooking classes, you will need to go via Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur to Angkor Wat. Phuket Town has some lovely sights, and it can be like walking back in time in some areas.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
240 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 7 days in Phuket too long?

Thanks for the Info..Angor Watt will have to be another trip. This one is already pretty full w some fab things to do! So looking forward to Phuket and surrounding areas! Have never had a bad timeshare exchane trip in 22 years of doing it. I"m sure this will be no exception. A nice way to see parts of a country I would otherwise never get to. A real joy for me.