We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bamboo tattoo

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Bamboo tattoo

I have a couple of questions - I want to get my first ever tattoo whilst I am in phuket in Feb and I have been researching for a while now. I think I want to get a bamboo tattoo as from what I can tell it hurts less, has less chance of infection and heals faster. Can anyone back this up that has had bamboo tattoo in phuket?

Also, I want to have a name written in calligraphy on my arm with a shadow of a paw print behind the last letter, if I spell it for them will they be able to design it for me? or should I have someone design it here first?

Lastly, can anyone recommend a clean, safe and talented artist for bamboo tattooing in phuket? Tried and tested? Do they show you the fresh needle coming out of the packet or do you have to ask? How does it work with the Bamboo tattoo?

I know I have asked a lot of questions here but I know my trusty TA-ers will come through for me!

Man Feb can't come quick enough! I really want to get my tattoo now as my young dog passed away suddenly last week and I want to honor his memory but I want to hold out and get it done in Thailand as I think Bamboo would suit me better :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,347 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bamboo tattoo

Ok after a lot of research, I got my 1st tattoo in October in patong. And yes its a bamboo one, and yes it hurts less heals quicker, etc, plus you can swim straight away.

After as said a lot of research, I had mine done at Patong Tattoo. Clean needles every time, wear gloves etc. I know probably 50 people who have used this place in the past.

If you google them you will find them, and they have a fb page.

Also if you google Cathy and Garys travel pages you will find links to them and directions ( really easy to find)

Also if you want just calligraphy you won't have a problem they will use calligraphy from like "word" to do it.

Nit a bad idea though if you have someone to draw it up to do so, even if it only serves as a draft.

Michelle

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bamboo tattoo

My wife had a bamboo tattoo done in Ko Lanta a few years ago . Then had a regular tattoo done in Kata 2 years ago. She said the bamboo hurt more. I personally am ink free. And yes of course ask to see new needles un rapped. You should also bring a sketch if you can . We know a good place in Kata ,but not Patong

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bamboo tattoo

Hi, I got a bamboo tattoo in Patong a couple of years ago. It was very clean, everything was sterilized. I don't know if if it hurts more or less than a needle gun as it's the only one I've ever got. I'm no hero but it felt just like a bit of a sting to be honest. The shop where I got it done isn't there now but I saw the guy who did it in the Tattoo shop at the OTOP market last July. He's hard to miss, he's an intersting looking guy, balding, with lots of budhist tattoos and a big ear plug. I was ok to swim 2 hours after and it still looks as sharp as it did the day I got it.

Sanctuary Point...
Level Contributor
563 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bamboo tattoo

I got a bamboo tattoo last Oct in Patong and I hardly felt it. I have numerous tattoes and I just wanted to experience the difference. Yes it was more expensive than a normal tattoo but I was able to go swimming a few hours after. I had it done at Patong Tattoo, and will definately go back there. They are very clean and professional.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
534 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bamboo tattoo

Hi, I know that I probably seem so stupid, but what is a bamboo tattoo? Can it still be coloured? What makes it so different to a needle tattoo so that you can still swim? I should just google, and I will, but at least the people on here have experience

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bamboo tattoo

G'day Merrilyn,

Although you may not want to hear my advice ( especially after the pm you sent me ) Bamboo tatoo's unlike the traditional gun tattoos do no cause as much trauma to to the skin and therefore heal quicker. and are maybe not as deep to the epi dermis but in the right hands skilled person are just as pemanant as gun tattoo's ..Bamboo or needle tattooing has been used through the ages alot in the pacific islands .

Because there is not as much trauma to the epi dermis ( skin ) you are abl to swim although I wouldn't in the ocean hopefully that answers your querie

I'm a heffalump I never forget :)

Cheers

lozza

Edited: 5:50 am, December 06, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
747 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bamboo tattoo

Traditional bamboo tattoos use sharpened bamboo, now needles the same as used in a gun are placed on the end of a bamboo stick attached with cotton.

A tattoo gun penetrates and tears the skin unlike a bamboo tattoo that is tapped into the skin and does not go as deep. So with a bamboo tattoo their will be less bleeding and no scabbing and a quicker healing time. Go swimming the next day no problem but i wouldn't swim in the ocean after getting any Tattoo. As far as pain goes it depends on the person a tattoo gun will be twice as fast to do as the same tattoo done with bamboo so the pain you feel will be shorter.

The best way to choose a tattooist in Phuket is to do a search on the web and look a the picture gallery's of work and any awards they have won for their work. Nicole used Patong tattoo last year for a bamboo tatt with good results.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
534 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bamboo tattoo

Thanks, not looking at getting one over there, but just wondered what the difference was. I don't forget either Lozza, but now know who you are as well, and I am sure you know who I am too through facebook. Maybe it was just a case of being too sensitive, but it seems that you may not be the person I thought, as you are friends with people I think a lot of. I also saw your post on your pop. How close people in Aus seem to be, 6 degrees of seperation etc. My daughter was picked on, and I don't like confrontation of any kind, so how about we bury the hatchet, just not in my back. lol

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bamboo tattoo

Thanks everyone for your advice! I really appreciate it! I was already leaning towards patong tattoo anyway so now you have all helped me make up my mind :)

10. Re: Bamboo tattoo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, December 17, 2013