We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR part 1

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
2,139 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
JBR part 1

Hi all,

We were not going to do a trip report this time as its our 11th trip to Thailand and we thought we had covered it all, how wrong could we be.

We arrived late on Saturday night from the Gold Coast on Air Asia with a 4 hour stop over in KL. We stayed in a Jacuzzi room at Deevana Hotel Patong Beach arriving there around 10pm after a 35 minute trip from the airport. I was pleased the Meter Taxi was still only 500Baht and it’s a short trip this time of night.

We walked out the front of the Hotel to find our friend Oie still making Banana Roti’s she has been there now for 5 ½ years and still makes the best roti’s in Patong.

This is our second time at Deevana and it felt like coming home as the staff are lovely and make you feel welcome.

Up early the next day and off for a walk after a beautiful breaky to check out what has changed in the last 12 months. I still find it amazing to see just how many changes there are in such a short time and unfortunately Patong is becoming so westernized now its loosing some of its charm. Only people that have been going there for many years will understand where I am coming from and while I still love the place its growth is just to fast catering for the tourist dollar.

I was sad to see our favorite restaurant had changed hands and had really been let go with food quality and service so we moved on and tried many new ones. I must say though we have been to more than 100 restaurants at a guess in Patong and Thailand and I could count on one hand the poor meals we have had. A good new one we found thanks to Tiff & Rod was Wai Thai, on the northern end of the beach near Loma Park. Great prices and great food with Thai Meals still around 100 Baht.

Many restaurants have now had to lift their prices with the minimum daily wage being increased from around 160Baht to 300Baht per day in Phuket recently, this has lifted the average Thai main from 100 to 120 Baht, not much by our standards but a large increase by Thai standards.

Shopping prices seemed much the same around Patong & the O Top Markets and it seemed easier to Bargain hard and get good prices this year. The best shopping is still the Phuket Town weekend night markets with many outlets having fixed prices and I am sure Sun Glasses have come down from last years as they are all now 100 Baht. The food here is also still as amazing as ever and we even found a driver that did a return trip and waited for only 600Baht.

The rest of the week we kicked back and just enjoyed doing not too much at all, we went to Nicky’s Handlebar to catch up with Kai & Nicky and while its still Nicky’s Handlebar I think its lost some of its charm with the renovations, all the business cards and stickers have gone and the ceiling that was legendary with all its character is now clean, regulars will know what I am talking about. We spent the rest of the week catching up with a few friends, eating and drinking in the second best country in the world.

End of week one.

Cheers, Pete & Jane

Mentioned in this post
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Phuket Town
Phuket Town
Phuket, Thailand
Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,241 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JBR part 1

Enjoying your JBR so far. Looking forward to part 2.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
421 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JBR part 1

Hey Pete and Jane,

I'm sitting here at home reading your report in my Wai Thai Tshirt.

We love not only the food there but the staff are beautiful. It's one of our favorites. Taste and price wise.

They also have a second Resturant on the path on beach road near Graceland.

Happy holiday

Nellie

nsw
Level Contributor
484 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JBR part 1

Hi Pete and Jane,

Was so nice to meet you both even if so briefly.

We have only been going for four years but this year we really noticed a huge difference,I can not get over how much construction is happening...

We hadn't been to Nicky's before but we enjoyed the night we did have there,and had planned to go back again for dinner but due to illness we didn't make it.

Have to say we loved Sabai Beach this year ...

Thanks for the report it keeps us all going till our next holiday,

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
717 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JBR part 1

Hi Peter,

Have to agree with you on Nicki's, has lost a little bit character.

Cheers

Rob

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,701 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JBR part 1

Hi Pete & Jane

Great JBR, wetting my lips here for one of Oie's banana rotis. Back to Phuket in 2 weeks, and will be back "home" at Deevana for the 10th time in 4 weeks.

Looking forward to part 2.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
6,206 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JBR part 1

Thanks for the report.

australia
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JBR part 1

Thanks Pete and Jane. I love reading JR's.

We will have to try Wai Thai. Thank you

Nellie - do you remember the name of the one near Graceland? Thanks

Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JBR part 1

Loving your report and have taken note of Wai thai, looking forward to the 2nd part.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
792 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JBR part 1

Great read, thanks for sharing :) We only went to Nickys for our first time this year after the renovations so don't have a comparison. But we thought it was gr8.... look forward to part 2!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: JBR part 1

Thanks for the report Pete, know exactly what you mean about the growth and charm. Will be interesting checking out Nickys next week , i wondered if it would loose some of what was so special about it

In KL now 30 degrees just had a quite walk tonight as very tired, off to explore more tomorrow

Michelle