We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No swimming now...it is dangerous!

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
4,000 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
No swimming now...it is dangerous!

It is so frustrating! I am sitting on Karon Beach now and have watched so many people ignore the red flags and go straight into the sea directly where the rip tides are, I urge people to please not swim during this period.

The Lifeguards are back on duty and we have already watched 2 rescues by midday! At the moment there are some children in the sea....this is too scary! :-(

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
42,288 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
131. Re: No swimming now...it is dangerous!

This other article in the Phuket Gazette gives an interesting local view of the confusion that various warning flags can create in the minds of visitors of different nationalities phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-Op…

You would think that everybody would know what a Red flag meant though but, sadly, obviously not. :-(

Kamala, Thailand
Level Contributor
581 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
132. Re: No swimming now...it is dangerous!

Yet another drowning... the lifeguards warned the man not to go in the sea, but he did and he drowned within five minutes.

phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-Be…

Phuket Town...
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
Save Reply
133. Re: No swimming now...it is dangerous!

It is incredible how ignorant people can be when on vacation. If it is true, that the lifeguards contacted the man, and warned him about the danger, then there is nothing more they can do. And yet they still risk their lifes trying to save people like the victim.

Very brave men.

Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
134. Re: No swimming now...it is dangerous!

Thank you ring0. I'm sure this thread is saving lives... I didn't plan in swimming as I've heard it's dangerous this time of year through posts like this but now im sure I'm not swimming!! Why risk our lives in Patong when I could swim any time at home as I live 200m from a safe beach ..... Thanks again

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
135. Re: No swimming now...it is dangerous!

Ringo - someone just posted that Tri Trang beach is safe in off season - is that correct?

Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
136. Re: No swimming now...it is dangerous!

Hi Ring0

I'm travelling to Phuket in the middle of September, please could you advise me on what beach to stay at that is good for swimming and hanging under an umbrella?

Megan

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
137. Re: No swimming now...it is dangerous!

I would not say any beach could be stated as being total safe, and unless mistakn Tri Trang would have no lifeguards on duty .

Sea may look ok but there can be dangerous currents / rip tides in the water

Megan - September is based over many years the rainiest month, how much how often for how long varies, but even if dry sea conditons can be problematic, you must take great care if planning to go in the water, Patong would not be so bad as they should have lifeguards on duty and if it does rain it means you have the shops and mall shopping and lots of other places.

Edited: 12:44 am, July 26, 2013
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
42,288 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
138. Re: No swimming now...it is dangerous!

And another drowning after 5 rescued at Karon Beach phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Mass-Phuk…

Again swimming where red flags flying. Soi mad, so sad!!

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
4,000 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
139. Re: No swimming now...it is dangerous!

So very sad :-(

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
140. Re: No swimming now...it is dangerous!

Terrible news.