We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to swim and stay in august phuket?

sydney, australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Where to swim and stay in august phuket?

Hey all,

I am staying in phuket from 10th august 2006 for 10 nights. Only problem i have just found some photos of phuket kata beach august last year and am completely turned off - what happend to the crystal clear, blue water - the crashing waves and dark clouds replaced them. I am starting to panic as my partner cant swim and we were hoping for beautiful paradise blue beaches with calm water - is this impossible or can someone suggest a nice 3.5-5 star hotel for us to stay on in august. we are also going to ko samui and are wondering whether to just spend 3 weeks there?. We were looking at staying at the andaman white beach hotel and twinpalms but are now worried they are closer to the choppier water. Picturesque with calmer clearer warm water beaches is what we want.

thanks l;)

Level Contributor
959 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to swim and stay in august phuket?

It is rainy season in Phuket in August which may go some way to explain the sea. Red flags were up when we went to you could not swim in the sea - we had to use the pool. You can get some good rates in the hotels at this time if you are prepared to take the risk of rain.

It isn't rainy season in Samui at this time. If you decide not to go to Phuket, you could spend your 3 weeks in Ko Samui or alternatively take a catamaran from Bophut pier to either Ko Tao or Ko Pha Ngan for some of your time for a bit of variety. V different islands to Samui.

Halifax Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to swim and stay in august phuket?

We are staying at Cape Panwa in Aug, and have been told the water is much calmer and safer there all year round, we have friends that have used this hotel 3 times in Aug and they said they could always go in the sea. So check it out with others. I do hope so as that is where we are staying in Phuket.

Level Contributor
405 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to swim and stay in august phuket?

Yeah I would definately not be swimming in the ocean in Phuket in August, too rough. Stick to the beautiful swimming pools and swim up bar!

As for Koh Samui, totally different, beaches are nice. Like the pictures in you mind.

Leeds. United...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to swim and stay in august phuket?

Can confirm with RYBURN,we have been to the Cape Panwa in August for last 4 years and the beach is always pristeen and calm, we were told it was the same ( well almost) when the tsunami struck. The West coast is always rough at this time of year.

5. Re: Where to swim and stay in august phuket?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:26 am, August 15, 2009