We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phuket in August

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Phuket in August

Hi, we are going to phuket for 7 nights in mid august. I am just wondering what the sea/water will be like at that time of year - will we be able to do a day tour to Phi Phi Island and/or Phang Nga Bay? Also what companies do you recommend to go with at that time of year?

Thanks for your help

New Zealand
Level Contributor
96 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phuket in August

Good question, we are coming in July and want to know the same thing. I think Richard might know

Halifax Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phuket in August

Guess we will all be there in july, what type of clothing for the weather, e.g will we need jackets or anything warmer than summer gear.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,455 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phuket in August

The water can be rough and it can be calm, it all depends on the wind.

If you're staying for 7 nights, you would have to be really unlucky if you're not able to take the tours. Normally if some bad weather sets in, it will last for about 3 days, and during those 3 days there will be plenty of sunshine as well. But the wind will be stronger during those days.

July and August in general are calm though with not too much wind.

It will be nice and warm as well, just maybe a sweater for the evenings, because after a rain shower it can be a bit chilly (to us living here anyway, most people not used to the heat feel warm enough anyway).

Ao Chalong / Rawai
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Phuket in August

Hi Johnno17

If you have the time on the island that Aussie05 does you should have a very good chance to enjoy activities such as Seacanoeing in Phang Nga Bay, snorkeling and enjoying places like Monkey Beach out at the Phi Phi Islands.

Steven is correct that you could have bad weather effecting the water conditions and it is best not to make water activity bookings in advance. Durring the period that you all will be visiting the daily weather is realy not so bad with any rain showers usualy in the early morning or late evenings.

What changes things drasticly is when a low preasure sytems pass over and will linger for 4-5 days with their winds and rains sometimes causing small craft warnings to be issued. You may only have one of these in a month or 4 years ago we had 3 of them come in back to back keeping even the bravest boats off the water for some time.

This is why I recommend that you not book water bound tours untill you arrive on the Island and plan your water activities based on the conditions at that time. feel free to drop me an e-mail for more info about locations and availiable activities that can be enjoyed durring the time period that you will be visiting.

Regards From Phuket

Richard & Megumi

New Zealand
Level Contributor
96 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phuket in August

Thanks Richard, will email closer to the time as you suggest

Townsville...
Level Contributor
394 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phuket in August

We visited in August 2004. And did all the tours, Phi Phi by speed boat (big mistake) sea was rough. My advice go by ferry!

Also did John Grey hongs by starlight, highlight of our trip and fantastic memories.

It rained twice while we were there, both huge downpours that lasted 20 mins and then the sun shined again.

As for clothing I lived in Swimmers and loose fitting shorts and singlets. Even in the evenings I found no need for a jacket or long pants, but wore slacks out to tea a couple of nights to feel dressed up.

If its any indication about the worry of the weather in "monsoon season" we are going back again in August this year, with no worries at all.

Cheers

Ang