We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Painkiller Tablets and Customs

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Painkiller Tablets and Customs

Hello again, does anyone know what customs are like with regards to bringing (S5) prescription drugs (painkillers) into the country ? I suffer from migraine and also have local headache POWDER that looks like cocaine. Should i leave these at home or is it ok to bring them with me ?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,428 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Painkiller Tablets and Customs

Just bring your script with you, and you should have no problems. It is doubtful going into Phuket that anyone will even check your stuff, but bring the script.

Michelle

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,988 posts
441 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Painkiller Tablets and Customs

We bring 5th months of medications with us including S5 painkillers for migraines, we each have a letter from our doctor naming the medications & what they are needed for.

Cathy

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,803 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Painkiller Tablets and Customs

Hi,

Thailand controls the importation of these kinds of drugs/narcotics by way of the Office of Narcotics Control Board (ONCB)..

The laws that deal with these things is codified under either the Narcotics Control Act 1976, The Narcotics Act 1979 and/or the Psychotropic Substances Act 1975.

The Psychotropic Substances Act 1975 of defines and classifies most all drugs into one of several classes (Class I, Class II, etc) depending on the actual substance.. Be aware that some narcotics DO in fact require a formal permit to import, regardless of the quantity or purpose; and tourist are not exempted.

Psychotropic Substances Act 1975:

…oncb.go.th/document/…20p41-71.pdf

All of this said, I do tend to agree with the others that so long as you have only a reasonable, justified and documented amount of these drugs that you'd likely be passed by Customs officers without any incident... but... do know that by techincal law, IF you do have any substances as listed in the previous .pdf the Thai customs can in fact require you to obtain a permit before they're allowed in to the Kingdom and/or seize them due to failure to hold such permit.

Again, not likely, but just do be aware of what the formal law is on the matter.

Travel Safe,

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Painkiller Tablets and Customs

Hi GOPBI

Thanks very much for your information. I am airline crew and will be traveling in uniform. Would i need to declare the medication through customs as i will NOT be going through the crew area. Many thanks

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,803 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Painkiller Tablets and Customs

Hi,

There is no distinction made for crew (duty, off-duty or DHD) with respect to the narcotics issue.

I make it a personal point to *ask* first.. What I do is to simply approach an officer at the red channel and ask them *before* I entering the line, "Excuse me, I have personal medications prescribed by my doctor. Do you need to see them?" This should be more than sufficient.. In most all cases, they'll either simply waive you off to the green channel, or ask a few basic questions and move you on from there..

The reason I do this is based on the fact that by simply using or walking thru the green (or red) channel you are in fact making your customs 'declaration'.. and I'm loathe to make a false or misleading declaration to that end.

What you want to avoid if at all possible is not making a declaration *then* getting stopped for a secondary inspection where they're found.. While you'd (presumptively) have them for legitimate purposes, IF they are narcotics that are in fact controlled as per ONCB regulations, and you didn't declare them, a customs officer could make it into a big deal (and under the law s/he would be correct)..

Overall, they tend to be expeditious with uniformed crew.. Normally only on-duty crew are permitted to use the crew channel, but if you're in uniform I'd ask if you can use it.. they will often permit this- on a discretionary basis.

Travel Safe,

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
492 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Painkiller Tablets and Customs

In ten years of back and forth to Thailand (sometimes several times per year) with various medications - usually just in their original container - no script from the doctor - I've never been questioned about anything , ever. I've never made a special declaration.

The one time I was ever really stopped and checked was in Korea where they thought they had caught me with undeclared alcohol. They were sorely unhappy I didn't have any and didn't bother to check anything else.

Most customs people are just regular nice people and if they see have have meds for a problem and are carrying only enough for your visit - I just can't see there being a problem.

A lot of it is about attitude - as with the suggestions made by #5. If you are polite and reasonable - they invariably are too.

I'm not suggesting breaking any rules - I'm just saying that the probability of you having a problem is extremely small.

I had some bottles of medicine for a few years that looked like battery acid - nasty looking brown bottles with white goop in it. That is what they thought was booze when they saw it in the x-ray machine. Once it wasn't, they lost all interest. Never even asked what it was.

Edited: 5:09 am, September 02, 2011
Tweed Heads
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Painkiller Tablets and Customs

I take Panadeine Forte into Thailand . The codeine is classed as a narcotic. I apply for a permit through FDA Thailand they issue you with a letter to import and export the Qty of tablets that you require for you stay. This permit is required by Thai law. I agree that you probably won't get pulled aside but after reading on the web about a women who spent 8 weeks in Jail after taking same tablets into UAE while her government sorted it out I thought twice. It is easy to obtain the permit

8. Re: Painkiller Tablets and Customs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, October 17, 2012