We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Krabi or Phuket

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
672 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Krabi or Phuket

Hello,

If I had to combine 2 destinations between: Krabi, Phuket, and Chiang Mai, which is recommended?

I got a hot deal from Amari Vogue in Krabi, so now I am confused whether to stay on the beach in Krabi or Phuket, or go to both locations and neglect Chiang Mai?

But again if Krabi and Phuket both share a beach destination, then i would choose either one, and visit Chiang Mai.

I want to stay by a beach to relax away from the crowd, but be close with easy transfer to do day excursions/touring places (island tours, caves, visit local villages, elephant rides/shows, some shopping, etc... whatever it may be!)

We are a family, so we are not into nightclubs, discos and bars...

In Phuket, was planning at either Karon, Kata, or Surin. (made a booking at the Marina Phuket)

Some help would be appreciated!

Edited: 4:53 am, July 21, 2011
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
672 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Krabi or Phuket

SeanFj,

How is the beach on the Amari Vogue? is it also not so good for swimming?

which hotel will you stay in Krabi? and on Railey beach?

which hotels is recommended then?

Also, what main activities/excursions can be done from Phuket?

Durbanville, South...
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Krabi or Phuket

Hi

I dont know the Amari beach, but dont get me wrong, the beaches are beautiful - its that they are just ok for swimming. We dont spend alot of time in hotels, so we tend to go the mid range route. The last time we stayed at Princville and this time at Aonang Orchid. Dont think I would stay at Railey as it is a bit isolated. You just must go visit - its amazing! We used Patty at www.krabitours.com last time and this time - she is very good and trustwothy. Regading Phuket, this time we are going to hire our own longtail boat and go exploring.

Durbanville, South...
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Krabi or Phuket

Hi

I dont know the Amari beach, but dont get me wrong, the beaches are beautiful - its that they are just ok for swimming. We dont spend alot of time in hotels, so we tend to go the mid range route. The last time we stayed at Princville and this time at Aonang Orchid. Dont think I would stay at Railey as it is a bit isolated. You just must go visit - its amazing! We used Patty at www.krabitours.com last time and this time - she is very good and trustwothy. Regading Phuket, this time we are going to hire our own longtail boat and go exploring.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
672 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Krabi or Phuket

SeanFj,

We hear Krabi's scenic views are more amazing than Phuket. Unfortunately, time does not allow except to get to either one.

We are not into nightlife that consists of clubbing/discos as it is not appropriate since we have a small 3yr old child with us. However, we love to relax peacefully on a quiet beach and swim, enjoy scenic views, go on adventures and visiting islands and scenic sites, and also spend little time for shopping & getting local souvenirs, and visiting local villages. Prefer more a family-environment than partying and getting wild!

-- The negative in Phuket, if November is crowded, then it would seem inconvenient with a child to walk around the discos, or even on the beaches with all the thai-girls/gays around, etc... this might be a worry...

Honestly, to come to a conclusion, would Krabi or Phuket meet this requirement? I just need to close my eyes and make a final pick!

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Krabi or Phuket

Hi,

The beach at Amari has no rocks. It is quite tidal though so it's probably not the best for swimming at low tide. You can hire long tail boats right off the beach for the day to take you to the islands, and the resort can pack you a lunch to take.

I'm starting to think that Krabi may be the best option for you. Amari isn't the most child friendly resort but Krabi sounds more suitable for you than Phuket.

I'm happy to try and answer any specific questions you have :)

Stelle

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
672 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Krabi or Phuket

Thanx Stelle,

I noticed from the pics of Amari it's very shallow and very low tide, so I guess not so good for swimming - we actually take this as a disadvantage as we like to relax on the hotel beach and get into the sea and do little swimming.

Any other great hotels u recommend if I had to change?

It's sad to leave the Amari, it's so lovely.

Howz the Railay village hotel which is on the beach ?

Or any other hotels?

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Krabi or Phuket

I don't really have any experience on any other hotels in Krabi sorry! Maybe ask on the Krabi forum? It would definitely be a shame to miss out on Amari.

We would usually lye on the beach for a while and then swim in the closest pool, but I'm not a beach person so I prefer pools anyway.

Stelle

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
672 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Krabi or Phuket

Stelle,

Is the sea really that low on Amari's beach?

I mean if u get a bit further in can't u still enjoy the sea?

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Krabi or Phuket

We were really only at the beach at high tide, but it was fine for swimming then. There were also people canoeing.

Perhaps use the 'search' feature in the Krabi forum for Amari Vogue beach? As I mentioned I tend to use pools more, so someone else may be able to offer more insight.

But from what I saw, it'd be fine.

Stelle

20. Re: Krabi or Phuket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, October 09, 2012