We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phuket: The Chedi or Sawasdee Village?

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
111 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Phuket: The Chedi or Sawasdee Village?

Hi. We are a couple with 3 children ages 14, 10 and 8. We are choosing between The Chedi or Sawasdee Village in Phuket for our trip this May. The Chedi was initially my first choice but I was put off by the mixed comments from various forums. Unarguably, it is in a good beach location but comments like "rooms are old and tired" and "far (at least 15 minute walk) from other dining options and dining in The Chedi itself is costly" "steps galore" are making me change my mind.

Has anyone stayed at Sawasdee Village? Their webpage shows beautiful rooms. Are they as beautiful (and clean)as they look in the photos? I know they're not in a beach location but it seems to me from what I've read that it is a 5 minute walk to the beach and they are near other dining and shopping establishments. Seeing its a resort enclosed within walls, Does it feel cramped inside the resort? I like the feeling of gardens and open spaces. And would you recommed the garden view or the pool view rooms?

How does Kata beach compare to Pansea beach where The Chedi is?

My considerations for choosing a resort are:

1. rooms with character that are beautiful, comfortable, clean and well equipped.

2. well managed, well maintained with good service.

3. convenient to other dining or shopping options and activities.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Phuket
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Phuket: The Chedi or Sawasdee Village?

WoW! Lots of questions here!

Kata Beach is one of my favorites - but Pansea Beach is smaller and more intimate - just as lovely in its own way.

There WILL be many more dining and shopping options in the area of the Sawadee Village than in the area of the Chedi.

Both resorts abound with a particular style. But, I too, have read many of the Chedi reviews about needed a bit of a perk up. For my money, I'd probably go the the Sawadee.

I have stayed at Sawadee Village before - about a year ago - right after the tsunami. Though I live on Phuket, I tend to vacation in the area - and take advantage of specials - and low season offerings.

My wife and I loved Sawadee Village - but if you are looking for expansive grounds - SV does not have that. It is a smallish resort - but that is part of its special character.

I'd go for a pool view room - the pool is one of the special things about the resort - they left in lots of the vegetation and built the pool around it.

I'd call it a ten minute walk to the beach - slightly more when sheparding your kids along . . .

A review of Sawadee Village - the one I wrote is here:

phuketdelight.com/…Sawadee

Hope that helps!

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
111 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phuket: The Chedi or Sawasdee Village?

Thank you for the advise Tedkarma. :) Looks like we're going for Sawasdee.

A few more questions:

Wouldn't the pool view rooms be noisier?

How's the beach condition on Kata and Pansea during May?

Phuket
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Phuket: The Chedi or Sawasdee Village?

Q: Wouldn't the pool view rooms be noisier?

A: Possibly - but this is not a big big resort - and it tends to stay relatively quiet. When I stayed there it never got noisy around the pool. And . . . I tend to think that "garden view" means NOT pool view. But, the grounds ARE very nice and very special.

Q: How's the beach condition on Kata and Pansea during May?

A: They'll both be affected by the weather - but I think that Kata Beach tends to be the calmer of the two. Though I don't know Pansea - but I do know that Surin (right next to Pansea - is one of the rougher beaches on the island.

For Phuket Weather - which will affect the tranquility of the sea:

http://phuketdelight.com/Phuket_Weather.htm

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phuket: The Chedi or Sawasdee Village?

Hi,

We stayed at the Sawasdee in December and loved it. The pool is hardly used and therefore not at all noisy. It's a beautiful hotel and very tranquil yet minutes from the beach and main Kata drag.

Enjoy!

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phuket: The Chedi or Sawasdee Village?

Hi,

We stayed at the Sawasdee in December and loved it. The pool is hardly used and therefore not at all noisy. It's a beautiful hotel and very tranquil yet minutes from the beach and main Kata drag.

Enjoy!

Ao Chalong / Rawai
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Phuket: The Chedi or Sawasdee Village?

Hi Ryokousha

I would agree with TedKarma in regards to the Sawasdee Village and have been there several times in the last month with guests. The poolside rooms are not only quiet but add a lot to the charm of this small boutique hotel. Great service, friendly staff and the whole hotel has only been compleated a year and a half ago and then upgraded again with the satalight and internet services in the rooms.

A great choice and close to lots of dining options and other attractions and activities in the area. You would definatly find that you get more value for your money at this facility and it meets the requierments that you have listed.

Regards From Phuket

Richard & Megumi

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
111 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phuket: The Chedi or Sawasdee Village?

Thanks to all! Sawasdee it is. I'm just waiting for them to reply to my booking. I hope we get the poolview rooms. I had to email them again because I had initially filled up garden view in the online reservation form.. So looking forward to our May vacation! For now, work work work! (sigh)...