We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

COST and best way to travel from Phuket airport to Krabi

Odenton, Maryland
Level Contributor
165 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
COST and best way to travel from Phuket airport to Krabi

Seems the current RT airfare between Phuket and Krabi is USD 320 per person. A little steep I think.

Could you please advise on the Ferry, the AC Boat and other ways of reaching Krabi from Phuket, and most importantly, the COST. Thanks.

Odenton, Maryland
Level Contributor
165 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: COST and best way to travel from Phuket airport to Krabi

Still looking for an answer to this question...

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: COST and best way to travel from Phuket airport to Krabi

Take the bus,it's about 2 hours and very cheap.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
393 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: COST and best way to travel from Phuket airport to Krabi

If you already have hotel arrangements, you may be able to get the hotel to pick you up and drive you to Krabi. We were able to have our hotel pick us up at the Phuket Airport and take us to Krabi for about US$75 for the two of us.

Phuket
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: COST and best way to travel from Phuket airport to Krabi

The bus is quite cheap - about B143 if I remember correctly. Easiest to go to Phuket Town to catch it. It is possible to catch it on the main road at the airport turn off - but you might find yourself standing out in the hot sun (or rain!) for a couple hours.

Another option is to rent a car. Budget will not charge you a fee to leave it in Krabi if you rent for at least three days. A nice Honda City is about B1590 a day in high season. IT is an easy two-hour drive from the airport on good, well-marked roads.

Also, I suspect you could negotiate a taxi right at the airport to take you there - but am not sure what it would cost. Somewhere B2000 up I would guess.

The boats and ferries - I am not too sure about.

Hope that helps a bit.

Phuket
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: COST and best way to travel from Phuket airport to Krabi

Do a search for PhuketRichard and send him a PM - he will know all the ferry/boat type costs/times, etc.

Odenton, Maryland
Level Contributor
165 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: COST and best way to travel from Phuket airport to Krabi

thanks TedKarma. If you happen to get this message, could you also give me some info re: Bang Thao from a tourist perspective? We're interested in seeing the beauty of the country as well as maybe a good hike (moderate ~3hours total), shopping, definitely good dining and maybe good snorkeling. We have a week to spend on Phuket and would like to spend some of it in Krabi and possibly Kata (after corresponding w/RichardPhuket). Someone else has recommended Bang Thao, as we are a quiet couple. No night life necessary.

Thanks for all your VERY helpful info.

Phuket
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: COST and best way to travel from Phuket airport to Krabi

I am a big fan of Kata Beach - but . . . I live an eight minute walk from Bang Tao Beach - whatever that means!

If quiet is what you like - then Bang Tao is probably a better bet. It is a much longer beach and the northern end of it is not developed - so you can take some quite long strolls easily an hour from one end to the other - and half of it will be devoid of people and hotels - just you and the sea - exactly how I love it!

Kata Beach is where I first fell in love with Phuket - so I'll never argue against it - but you will find it maybe 25 minutes walk from one end to the other - pretty much 100% developed - lots of people, beach chairs etc. But, in fairness, probably a somewhat lovelier (sp?) sea.

Check out Phuket's Best Beaches for a little more on each and the following page on Beach Hotels for a little more info.

Best Beaches:

http://phuketdelight.com/Best%20Beaches.htm

Beach Resorts/Hotels Recommendations/Reviews:

http://phuketdelight.com/beach%20hotels.htm

Both bays have rocky formations at both ends that may give you good snorkeling experiences - perhaps Kata Beach a bit better from that perspective.

Hiking and getting a bit out of the developed areas - Bang Tao area - much better.

Dining - you can't lose anywhere on Phuket! Check out my Favorite Restaurants at:

phuketdelight.com/Favorite%20Restaurants.htm

Many will be in the Bang Tao area - the Supper Club - not on the web page and several other excellent restaurants are in the Bang Tao area - as well as a plethora of local Thai restaurants. But I live here and know the area well - PhuketRichard, I am sure, can direct you to many of his favorites in other areas. Kata Beach has one of the best Italian Restaurants and also lots of Thai restaurants.

BTW, for walks - check out the Laguna Golf Course (Bang Tao area) - check out my birdwatching page - a lovely area! You see me jogging on the course every morning at sun up.

http://phuketdelight.com/Bird%20Watching.htm

Also, the north end of Bang Tao beach often has lots of sand dollars - you can see the real animal - before it dies - brown - trying to get back in the water after the waves have thrown them up on the beach. Only certain times of year though - and I didn't see any a few days ago. Also over Bang Tao - two Brahmany Kites that cruise the coastline most mornings and evenings (look like fish eagles). Near the Muslim cemetery mid-south Bang Tao Beach - at sunset and sunrise you will at times hear what sounds like a dog barking single barks at 15-20 second intervals up in the trees - it is a Scopes Collared Owl - rare to see it though - but you will most likely hear it.

Hope that helps!

Odenton, Maryland
Level Contributor
165 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: COST and best way to travel from Phuket airport to Krabi

Your website is great - I have checked it out already. You've given us lots to think about and plan! Thanks so much.