We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants for Value.??

2 posts
Save Topic
Restaurants for Value.??

Hi (are you there Richard?) folks,

We have been up there a few years ago, pre-Tsunami and would like to get a feel for Eateries re: Ratio of food quality against value. We are not flush but we are not poor, so to pay a little more for a nice night out and meal is not a problem.

Secondly, just how far is it to Kata, I have a mobility problem but can walk a short distance? What would the taxi fare be to Kata approx?? We will be staying at the Burasari resort in central Patong.

Any help would be appreciated.

A happy New Year to all,

Maurie & Vera. in Perth WA.

Ao Chalong / Rawai
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants for Value.??

Merry Christmas SuperG'dad

I also have a minor mobility problem avoiding hills and more then a few hundred meter walks as much as possible. Swimming and diving with fins on is not a big deal but sometimes small boat ladders are a pain with my diving equipment on.

Kata Town is located a 15 minute drive over the hills from Patong and I am finding it cheaper now to use the private taxi services who will wait for you while you shop, dine or visit the beach. Hire a car and an English speaking driver for only a hundred baht per hour and 6 baht per kilometer. These services are as cheap as the meter taxis who usualy will not wait and half the prices of tuk tuks. You could call " Mr. More" at 01 6472643

and be cauferred around using a safer and much more comfortable service.

Sorry about recommendations for the Patong area as I would rather wait the half hour to go to other locations then have to settle for being treated and charged like a tourist. You could check out TedKarma's website for some good recomendations for Patong dining choices at www.phuketdelight.com

The best you will find for value is eating at the Thai owned places serving real Thai food and not the Western owned retuarents who serve what they think Thai food is and charge what they think it is worth.

Try to plan your activities durring the daytime so you will end up in different areas so you can enjoy different dinning choices and then return to Patong after you are full. For recommendations for great value for the money for Western style and Thai and fresh seafood food in Phuket Town, Rawai and Nai Harn Beach and the Ao Chalong areas then feel free to drop me an e-mail at richard@phuket-scuba-diving.com Tedkarma has his favorites in the North and we have found our favorites in the South over the last 10 years and you will find that most locals do not live or eat in Patong.

The Burasari is a great resort with good value for accommidation but if you are different then the average tourist then take the time to discover the culture, atmousphere and value away from Phuket's main tourist town. I hope this info helps and regards from Phuket.

Richard & Megumi