We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourists poisoned? in Phi Phi

Patong, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
Save Topic
Tourists poisoned? in Phi Phi

This is not good for Thailand and appears to be being played down by the authorities :-(

andamantimes.com/news/…

Mentioned in this post
Fort St. John...
Level Contributor
773 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tourists poisoned? in Phi Phi

That is absolutly terrible. I feel so sad for the guy that lost his fiance, what a terrible way to have someone ripped out of your life.

Asia
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tourists poisoned? in Phi Phi

How sad, did not see this on Phuket Gazette or elsewhere.

Worrying about the burgers, probably pork. I am no expert but I do know you have to be very careful indeed with pork in hot climates.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Luang Prabang, Laos
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tourists poisoned? in Phi Phi

Very sad indeed for both families and in particular for the husband since they were coming to the end of a 3 month holiday in SEA. I hope the authorities get to the bottom of this because it certainly isn't going to help them to try 'shush' it up. Wouldn't other people have gotten sick too if it was food related?

Brindisi, Italy
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tourists poisoned? in Phi Phi

This absolutely blows me away. The fiance, Ryan, is a friend of mine and I have blown glass with him many times. I just read this on a blog from the states and could not believe it. We are planning a vacation to Thailand in a couple of weeks and until now was unfazed by any of the jellyfish talk or the swine flu hysteria but this hits so close to home. I used to think the people that cancelled trips due to the swine flu scare or the political unrest were wimps but now I'm not so sure. . . . . . I guess we will still come but will be a bit more careful. . . . .if that is possible.

Mentioned in this post
Luang Prabang, Laos
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tourists poisoned? in Phi Phi

seattleman-if you do decide to go, it would be nice to have a memorial service of some sort on the island in tribute to Jill.

Port Stephens
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tourists poisoned? in Phi Phi

Seattle,

In the news report there was a mention that they did not go swimming on the day, do you know when they last went swimming? As you may know, vomiting can be a symptom of many things including BoxJellyfish. It was about this time last year that they started appearing.

Food poisoning where the afflicted are days apart? Interesting....

Stingerz and / or Athena might comment on this also.

Patong, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tourists poisoned? in Phi Phi

This has NOTHING to do with jellyfish. You would certainly KNOW if you had been stung by a Box jellyfish.

Patong, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tourists poisoned? in Phi Phi

27-year-old West Seattle resident Jill St. Onge has died in Thailand.

Her family and friends have set up a website here and her boyfriend Ryan is posting on it from Thailand>>>

http://jillstonge.blogspot.com/

They say an autopsy is scheduled to be carried out today.

Mentioned in this post
West Aust
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tourists poisoned? in Phi Phi

This news is very sad. I feel so sorry for her fiance, family and friends. I hope the other tourists who have fallen ill make a recovery and hopefully the Thai authorities can find out quickly what has caused this so it won't happen again.

Patong, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tourists poisoned? in Phi Phi

To say the 2 deaths happened on sunday and monday it's curious there hasn't even been a mention of either in the Gazette.