We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Sok day tour

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Topic
Khao Sok day tour

Hi all,

I am interested in doing the Khao Sok day tour (elephant trekking and canoeing), but was wondering whether it was worth doing considering the amount of time travelling to and from.

Jenny

NY, NY
Level Contributor
42 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Khao Sok day tour

I was also looking for information on this day tour and was wondering if anyone has gone on this tour? Are these elephants treated better than the ones in Phuket?

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
403 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Khao Sok day tour

Total waste of time to do Khao Sok in a day. Your looking at 7 hrs driving (by car) for the round trip to Phuket.

My advise is stay at least one night either at the Treehouses at Arts or on the floating rafts on the lake. Have a look at www.limestonelaketours.com for packages etc. Khao Sok is pristine and a day tour from Phuket would not do it justice. If you do go you MUST take a boat trip on the lake. Its not to be missed!

In regards to the elephants, I can't comment on how there treated in Phuket because its more of a carnival ride there. At Khao Sok you actually use the elephants for transport to tour an area of the park leading to a waterfall.

Coffs

Bentley
Level Contributor
894 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Khao Sok day tour

We did the day tour - and loved it - so much so that we are returning for a stay in Khao Lak to be able to spend more time, both in the area and in Khao Sok.

On the day trip we didn't go as far as the lake. We had an elephant trek, a jungle trek and a ride down the river in a canoe. As this is the only elephant trek we have been on I can't compare but can only say that the elephant's habitat was very natural, they looked healthy and we didn't see any signs of spikes or bleeding on their bodies. No one jostled them if they stopped to eat during the trek and there was a large water hole for them at the end. The mahoots gave them a scrub down with a long handled brush, which they seemed to love. My husband reckoned the lunch was the best Thai food he had eaten. This was had at a small restaurant somewhere in the park.

There were 6 of us on the trip.

The canoe ride was very peaceful and the guide pointed out several types of birds, some monkeys and told us which animals were calling, at various times.

Anyway, on this visit we intend to go to the lake and do more trekking to see what else we can discover in the park. I know there is rafting on inflatable tyres.

The drive was about 1.5 hrs each way - because of picking up and dropping off at the various hotels. No bother - we had the opportunity of seeing areas we hadn't visited before.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
42 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Khao Sok day tour

Thank you both so much. You totally convinced us to try and book the trip before we leave. I am so excited.

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
52 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Khao Sok day tour

We are headed to Phuket this weekend (husband, wife, two teenage daughters)and have yet to confirm any tours. I have done plenty off research, but for one reason or another, I haven't booked. I did not see an elephant trek and canoe ride... only a trek and a white water raft ride (not our kinda thing, ww rafting). I think the canoe ride sounds better. I guess at this point I will wait to see what the hotel has to offer and hope for the best. Did you feel like herded cattle on your trip?

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
403 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Khao Sok day tour

You won't be hearded at Khao Sok its too far away from Phuket and all the resorts.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
42 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Khao Sok day tour

Apparently the tours at Khao Sok fill up somewhat quickly. Tomorrow is already full. I am so excited for our tour on Sunday.

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
52 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Khao Sok day tour

patentlaw... are you in Phuket right now? And you are doing this tour on Sunday? When did you book it and who did you book through? I hope it is not too late for us to get hooked up...

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
6,165 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Khao Sok day tour

"The drive was about 1.5 hrs each way"

From where was that? Sounds a lot more like Khao Lak than Phuket.

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
403 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Khao Sok day tour

I agree, I caught the bus last year from Phuket Town, took over 5 hours to Khao Sok. Don't know how they think it can be done in a day.