We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Richards Phi Phi & Sunset Cruise & Racha Yai JBR

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
111 reviews
190 helpful votes
Richards Phi Phi & Sunset Cruise & Racha Yai JBR

This boat cruise was that amazing i thought it deserved a JBR.

Our day started with an early morning pickup from BangTao picking up other guests on the way 5 ladies from Melbourne we were then taken straight to Chalong Pier to meet Richard and Megumi. What a great couple Richard has such a big personality we felt like we had known him for ever and Megumi is lovely and so helpfull.

Our first sight of the boat which was called the SongThai we could not believe our luck it was beautifull. An indonesian 29 meter wooden vessel with tall sails and brand new. The top deck had small tables with cushioned loungers plenty of room for us all. The next deck was where the galley was , and a lounge ,and some cabins and the toilets which were all wood and marble and then the back of the boat which had a deck and steps for when going swimming. This voyage there was only 9 of us and the crew it was so nice not to be on a packed speedboat as we saw some going out packed like sardines.

Richard and Megumi started the day off with having the crew serve us breakfast which was a nice touch as this was not expected while he explained our itinerary for the day which was to Phi Phi and would take about 3 hours. We had so much fun sailing there Richard and Megumi have so much knowledge and funny stories to tell i never stopped laughing. All the soft drinks and beer was free all day you just helped yourself. Upon arriving at Phi Phi we sailed past Maya Bay and some other sights and went to Monkey Beach for swimming and snorkelling. The sea life here is just wonderfull and snorkelling was a real pleasure. Lunch was served when everybody got back on board the boat to a thai buffet of thai fish cakes which were so nice and thai vegetables different thai curries and other dishes and steamed rice. It was really tasty and fresh cooked from the galley below. Afterwards it was some more swimming and at 15.00hrs we headed back towards Phuket. There was also a massage therapist on board who was very good and fully qualified. By this time the beers were going down well as weather wise it was sunny and hot but windy with a choppy sea. Our next stop was at a place called hideaway bay as the sea was calm here and we watched the sunset this was awesome being on a beautifull boat it was paradise. After this our thai bbq was served again all fresh cooked and tasty with plenty of food for everybody. We then returned to Phuket and Chalong but the other surprise was as it was the kings birthday we had our own fireworks display as we could watch them all at sea going off all over Phuket . Our day ended at about 20.00hrs and none of us wanted it to end i wanted the day to go on for ever. The crew were wonderfull waiting on everybody hand and foot i have never felt so pampered. This was such a fantastic day it was one of the best days of my holiday and the best boat i have ever been on and i have been on some boats.

Rach Yai

Well i had to book again so a week later i joined Richard and Megumi and experienced their other boat tour to Racha Yai. It was explained that this was only a day time one but i was just happy to be back on the boat.Again only a small party 8 of us and the crew.Again we were served breakfast of scrambled eggs bread butter and jam also ham . Sailing time i think was under 2 hours which gave us loads of time for the beach and snorkelling or if you wanted just relaxing on the boat. I am not a very good swimmer or snorkeller but Megumi stayed with me and taught me how to snorkell we saw moray eels and some marvellous coloured fish i am not sure which part of the island we had gone to but it was in a nice bay. We then had lunch on board which was a thai buffet also the soft drinks and beer was free all day. After this we sailed round the island to a different bay where we had free time to explore Racha Island i stayed on the boat and practiced my snorkelling and sunbathed on the deck as the cushioned loungers were so cool. At around 15.30 hrs we set sail back to Phuket all very happy contented people.I would like to thank Richard and Megumi for putting together two very special cruises which are so different to all the rest . Also thankyou to leanne and her friends for helping make the day so special and everybody on the cruise to Racha also not forgetting the crew who were so wonderfull nothing was too much trouble.I forgot to mention masks snorkells fins and towells are included on this tour. I now feel so spoilt after being on this boat. I dont think i could ever go back to speedboat trips. Roll on next year.

Julie

Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
200 reviews
192 helpful votes
1. Re: Richards Phi Phi & Sunset Cruise & Racha Yai JBR

Hi Julie,

Wonderful report, the trips sound fantastic. How much did they cost and did they include transportation?

Thanks

Sarah

xx

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
111 reviews
190 helpful votes
2. Re: Richards Phi Phi & Sunset Cruise & Racha Yai JBR

Hello Sarah,

Phi Phi all day and Sunset Cruise was 3400baht and Rach Yai was 2700baht. I thought it good value for money as it was so nice to have a really good fresh cooked meal. It did include transfers from patong kata and karon areas. Also you know you are not going on a boat packed like sardines.

Julie

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
206 reviews
232 helpful votes
3. Re: Richards Phi Phi & Sunset Cruise & Racha Yai JBR

Hi Julie

That was an excellent report. Sounds like you had the time of your life and I agree, good value too.

Cheers

Jen

Latrobe Valley
Level Contributor
27 posts
4. Re: Richards Phi Phi & Sunset Cruise & Racha Yai JBR

Julie,

That sounded a fantastic day, like you said, something a little different with less crowd.

Do you know how often Richard runs those trips and how I can book them?

South Australia...
Level Contributor
9,054 posts
423 reviews
702 helpful votes
5. Re: Richards Phi Phi & Sunset Cruise & Racha Yai JBR

That was a fantastic report Julie, sounds like you had a ball, really good prices as well for everthing involved. Im like you - not a very good swimmer and snorkeller so it would have been so much better having Megumi help you.

Cathy

Ferntree Gully...
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
81 reviews
123 helpful votes
6. Re: Richards Phi Phi & Sunset Cruise & Racha Yai JBR

Hi Julie,

Thanks for the fantastic report,

I now know what we will be doing one day in May this year!!

Lindy.

SEQ, Australia
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
9 reviews
114 helpful votes
7. Re: Richards Phi Phi & Sunset Cruise & Racha Yai JBR

Great Report Julie - Are the tours being run daily?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
4 reviews
12 helpful votes
8. Re: Richards Phi Phi & Sunset Cruise & Racha Yai JBR

Ohh Julie, that just brought me back so many memories. We loved our day out on the Songthai. I think it was one of the highlights for us. Did you walk the plank? I did....ohh about 4 times lol.

We are definately going to book again when we go back. Richard was such a great host.

Wen

x

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,964 posts
11 reviews
38 helpful votes
9. Re: Richards Phi Phi & Sunset Cruise & Racha Yai JBR

Thanks Julie, sounds like you had a ball, will definitely add this to the list for next time. We joined Richard & Megumi for a few Fri nights, and Songkran last year and we had a ball, everyone of our trips was so well organised.

Lee

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
111 reviews
190 helpful votes
10. Re: Richards Phi Phi & Sunset Cruise & Racha Yai JBR

TezzLatrobeValley

The Phi Phi Sunset cruise hosted by Richard and Megumi should be every Tuesday this i highly recomend as Richard and Megumi are wonderfull hosts and such fun i had a great day . The Racha Yai one looks like it is going daily .You can book on http://www.phuket-scuba-diving.com and richards e mail is richard@phuket-scuba-diving.com

Firebucket

The racha yai one is daily if you look on their site it has loads of info. Also there is other trips that they are now doing which look wonderfull .If i was there now i would be on the boat every day absolute paradise.

You can also see photos of the trips if you go on to the web page of the cruises .

Wendy

Just looked at all the photos wish i was back there. I can not wait for next time in about 12 months. Just noticed as well they are now even doing an overnight one . It has got to be the best boat in Phuket tour wise. No i did not walk the plank but others did we just had a great laugh and a really good time . We did not want the day to end and its nice having the luxury on the boat.

Julie

Get answers to your questions about Phuket
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.