We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What the heck?

off the map
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
What the heck?

What is a ladyboy?

I have never heard of this before.

Is it a chick or a dude?

Why would someone want to watch a dude dressed up as a chick?

Wouldn't they rather just watch a chick? I don't get it.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
41,269 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: What the heck?

Bgas

"Some of them make fabulous maire'd s though"

What's "maire'ds"? Is that a Thai or Black Country expression? LOL

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: What the heck?

i think there are genuine katoey,s and "tourist" katoey,s in thailand .,by tourist, i mean that there are lots in patong /pattaya /bkk/ that work in the tourist areas ,to make money by going with guys, or charging money for allowing you to have your photo taken with them , i still like them though

live and let live

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: What the heck?

it's the Thai way of writing :... maître d' or maître d'hôtel

as always in Thai... many ways of spelling words... how do they spell "sheep" in New Zealand?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: What the heck?

jawadde,

Only spelt it "Katoi" as some mught be confused by "kh". I know I was the very first time I saw it...kahertoi" I thought!

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: What the heck?

as always in Thai... many ways of spelling words... how do they spell "sheep" in New Zealand?

"darling"?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: What the heck?

Thats a cracker Andy!!!! "Nervous" perhaps? oh well, another post removed!!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: What the heck?

Ladyboys have been part of Thai culture since the 20's. They first surfaced as an alternative to young Thai men visiting prostitutes and having pre-marital fornication. Ironic as it may seem, this was how it all started..

Chonburi
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: What the heck?

I'm sorry lindsy8 but I beg to differ....ladyboys traditions go back much further in Thai/buddhist culture, in the 1920s they became popular in modern cabaret etc and then went on to entertain troups during WW2.

Remember that not all ladyboys are sxe workers, they have taken an normal role in society for centuries and still do, as I've said before you will encounter them through Thailand and many professions, factory operatives, cashiers in supermarketsand even tellers in banks, some even became national volleyball champions!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: What the heck?

Thanks for the information. Whatever their traditions may be, they deserve the same respect that we demand. Having been friends with quite a few of them, I honestly can say that some of them are really great people who will stand by you at all cost, if you would stand by them.

Lord forbid that anyone should misunderstand that I'm implying that all ladyboys are s** workers, far from it. However, sometimes with the limited choices that society offers the...it's a shame, cause there are some really smart and talented ones out there.

Chonburi
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: What the heck?

It is true that with the advent of westernisation the is increased prejudice agianst ladyboys, but I know personally of one or two who are running highly successfull companies in the Art & Crafts secttor (one of my areas of business ). They are well know on the international market. Nothing to do with sxe.

I think you might have got your impression from reading "Very THai" which is an excellent book on Thai culture but he doesn't actually say that. The book is fantastic but I feel the chapter on Katoeys doesn't really do much but scratch the surface, and in the space provided is loaded towards the sxe side of their role in society.