We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 Baht Bus or not a 10 Baht Bus?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,568 posts
1 review
Save Topic
10 Baht Bus or not a 10 Baht Bus?

Last time we were in Pattaya we flagged down what looked like a 10 Baht bus, but before we could get on the person in the front passenger seat said they weren't a 10 Baht bus.

I have read somewhere about people getting ripped off for getting what they though was a legitimate 10 Baht bus, but wasn't.

Is there a way of telling a genuine one from a fake one?

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
185 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 10 Baht Bus or not a 10 Baht Bus?

Thank you very much!

I've tried this "trick" today...still alive! LOL

May I ask more,please?

1. What is Moo in the address in Thai?

2. Is any way to get know where the car with the roof going without constantly watching the road?

Thank you.

Tomorrow I'll practice more... :D 😜

NORWICH
Level Contributor
197 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 10 Baht Bus or not a 10 Baht Bus?

Bhat Buses is 10 Bhat per person. However, drivers get smart and think they can charge Farang/foreigners a taxi rate. Rule of thumb pile on with locals. Never ever get on an empty one one as they will think they are a taxi and charge 140bhat plus. We jump on and off the buses all the time. Watch out round Walking St. As again you will get charged especially if you are worse for wear. Just walk up on to the main road instead.

Pattaya, Thailand
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 10 Baht Bus or not a 10 Baht Bus?

Beware baht bus 524. Aggressive and charges double.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
16,289 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: 10 Baht Bus or not a 10 Baht Bus?

For ordinary baht bus rides - kinda hard to charge double if you hand over 10 baht and walk away!

Always have change!

(You ask "how much" they will see how much they can get!)

Pattaya, Thailand
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: 10 Baht Bus or not a 10 Baht Bus?

He didn't get 20!! Doesn't stop him being aggressive to try and get 20.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
277 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: 10 Baht Bus or not a 10 Baht Bus?

Even better if you can walk back the way you came a few metres, he is never going to reverse after you.

I have never had a problem though.

perth
Level Contributor
768 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: 10 Baht Bus or not a 10 Baht Bus?

In Pattaya coins is gold like cash is gold good old baht bus so easy to get around

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
11,324 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: 10 Baht Bus or not a 10 Baht Bus?

Just give 10bt & walk away & don't worry about it, don't start discussing it, you've paid the correct fare (if going over to Jontiem, its 20bt)

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
218 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: 10 Baht Bus or not a 10 Baht Bus?

When does the 20 bht apply to Jomtien. When we go the beach and get the bus by the school we always pay 10bht. Or alternatively coming back we would get off at Mikes on 2nd road and pay 10 again. When does Pattaya become Jomtien from a drivers point of view

europe
Level Contributor
46 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: 10 Baht Bus or not a 10 Baht Bus?

I agree with above, I talked to a taxi driver one time on long ride BKK, the open taxi's in pattaya are called SONGTELL in thai, normally he told me that the moment they start for speak the price allready go up from 10bath to anything in his mind or what you agree on.

Just put you hand up for call any songtell, do not speak to the driver and walk to the bank, if its a songtell it will leave you on freely, if not it will drive away. If it stops and has people allready, then you allready know its a songtell taxi. 10 bath.

The driver can go anyway that he likes, there is often no set route, but generally they will stick on the main road that they are allready driving on. Like all on beach road, 2nd road or Soi Bokhou.

I also experience that if they honk the horn, 90% of the time its a 10 bath songtell bus.

Hope helps you little more. Just try.