We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sun rise

Which Pattaya hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Sun rise

I am flying with Eva Air on Thursday 29th November to Bankok, leaving London Heathrow at approx 10pm. Could some one please tell me of the time (GMT) we will see the sunrise whilst in flight as I want to photograph it and film it. Thanks.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sun rise

Oh wow that is going to take some working out.

Although not flown from Europe for probably 15 years or more when we have flown elsewhere long haul my son has always kept a written journal of flights and locations, I will ask him how he figures these things out - should see him soon :)

Tricky one will be knowing which side of the plane, wild guess here would be the left side. You will be flying eastbound and it rises in the East.

Edited: 12:49 am, October 22, 2012
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sun rise

Ok this is what I can offer but you need to do calculations yourself.

Flight routing will vary depending on the route the aircraft takes.

If you depart London in winter at 10 pm that would be about 5 am in Bangkok already, so as you head east you head towards the sunrise.

The roughest guess my son suggests is roughly 5 hours after take off over places like Kazakhstan or wherever the routing takes you.

You will be able to see the route map and position of the aircraft on your seatback screen, so you should be able to calculate it on the speed and routing.

Perhaps if you used your charm you could ask one of the cabin crew if they can tell you or depending on the routing that night they could check with the flight deck, they have done the route so often they would know.

Edited: 6:22 am, October 22, 2012
3. Re: Sun rise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 02, 2013