We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning!!!!Jet Ski Pattaya

Dublin
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Warning!!!!Jet Ski Pattaya

Hey Guys

Just a bit of advice in regards to renting Jet Skies in Pattaya. Im just back from my first time in Thailand, and over all i loved it! However while we spent some days in Pattaya we had a really bad experience.

Myself and my two friends ( all Male in our early 20's) were approuched by a man while walking down the beach asking if we wanted to rent jet Skies, he was friendly enough and we arranged a price of 400THB each for 30mins. We were asked to sign a piece of paper which asked for our Hotel name and room number (we didnt give these details of course, and sign fake names) they were very friendly and polite.

When we arrived back after 30mins there wasnt just the two men and women there but about 10 of the roughest looking men you have ever seen, screaming at us, saying we broke two of the jet skies. They had Tattoos all over there necks arms and faces, one of them actually had a stab wound on his face that kept bleeding. They demanded 77000THB and said they would call the police, i said i was more than happy for the police to come and sort it out. When i said this they went crazy and tried to fight us, taking out knives etc!!!! Then a non Thai came over and "tried to help" cause he could speak Thai, he was completley in on the whole thing!! We tried to leave and were blocked off, so it was either pay or fight completley out numbered. We insisted we did not have the kind of money over and over and the price after one hour went from 77000 to 20000THB, which we regretfully paid!

When we walked away a police man was right beside the beach, i ran over to him, and before i opened my mouth he put up his hand and said not my problem!!!!!!

On our travels we heard so many stories of people saying the same thing over and over. This incident really put a downer on things for a few days, and one of my friends was so shuck up about it we did not leave the hotel complex for a week! This happened right in front of the main shopping centre along the beach.

And i know some of you's will say ah well you should not have arranged it with some guy on the street but anyone who has been to pattaya will know that everything is like this there, you could walk 100metres and be approuched about 10times from people trying to sell you snything from suits to Women, to jet Skies to Watches, its just the way things are over there.

Sorry for the big Novel but at the end of the day if this posting even prevents one person from going through the same situation we did i will be happy!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Warning!!!!Jet Ski Pattaya

Wow, i hear this scam every week . But this one sounds really scary, i just dont have any reason to ever hire these noisy things that i wish were banned. So never had any problems, the police would have had a cut of the money as well i bet, thats how it works there. Anyway give this site a read and all the other comments below it, your not the only one.

bangkokscams.com/scams-in-thailand/jet-ski-s…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Warning!!!!Jet Ski Pattaya

Actually at the very bottom of this scam website you could write this story there as well ! It would go down very well.

Phill...........

California
Level Contributor
51 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Warning!!!!Jet Ski Pattaya

Wow!!!!!

I have heard about this scam before as well as many others but this paticular one is a good wake up call to all tourist. It sounds very frightening and yeah the police was probably in on it. I wouldn't be surprised but i am glad u wrote ure experience because i will be going to pattaya in nov and will be aware of this as well as many other scams. I am glad that no one was hurt or anything but its sad that this had to happen.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,666 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Warning!!!!Jet Ski Pattaya

I have used Jetski(s) in Thailand, specifically Pattaya without incident many times, however this is the first time I have heard someone being scammed and not ridden any jetski(s).

Prob best to avoid jet ski(s) on Pattaya Beach - better off going to Koh Larn for water sports. I'm amazed you had 10000bht on you each. Should have told them you both did not have any dosh and needed to go to an ATM. Then called the POLICE from inside the shopping complex.

somerset
Level Contributor
472 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Warning!!!!Jet Ski Pattaya

There have been many posts about this problem , but it is just not only Pattaya. This scam like many others is rife throughout Thailand, but overall this is only done by a minority of Thai people, the so-called Thai mafia. I have learnt most of the scams by having a a Thai g/f and knowing lots of Thai people so all i can do is warn people. Please do your research , have a look at Bangkok scams website it is a mine of information and take care out there, these people can get very violent.

Andygsxr

Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
319 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Warning!!!!Jet Ski Pattaya

Sounds to me like a knife is required when renting a jetski in Pattaya. Knife fight!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Warning!!!!Jet Ski Pattaya

hi all,

mate this happened to me oct 08 in koh samui.. me and 3 mates, again all male, got stung with the exact same situation, minus the knifes - sht that would have been scary!

we actually told them to call the police which they did (who were all in on it mind you) they got a aussie translater for us who was again in on the whole thing and basically told us to pay it! they were asking 26,000 baht but they settled for 18,000... we knew there was not much we could do so just to get some points back, we did some very not nice things to the money which was to be handed over, recorded it and still have a giggle about it.

2 days later we saw the same crew try and sting a group of 5 ppl and we went to help which got them off, the day after that we drove past the police station which we were at and saw the head jet guy with another group of 5 ppl... A MASSIVE SCAM - if this happens once or twice a day, there laughing!

make sure that if anyone you know hires the skies, warm them to take photos of the whole ski before leaving the beach, and make sure they see you taking photos!!!

cheers

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Warning!!!!Jet Ski Pattaya

Classic.... But if someone saw you doing not nice things with the money and for some reason my mind is below the waist you would be in even bigger trouble, as all notes have the kings head on them. Even putting your foot on notes if dropped on the ground or defacing a note is classed as crimes lèse majesté.

And boy would you of being in a whole new world of pain !!!!!

…about.com/od/…lesemajeste.htm

Pattaya, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Warning!!!!Jet Ski Pattaya

yes it is inadvisable to rent a jet ski on pattaya beach. i have friends who work as volunteerforeign tourist police and they are often called to disputes with jet ski operators where the operator claims the jet skim has been scratched / damaged and want vast compensation for even minor scratches which were there all along - my friends have no power of arrest so the operators just decamp and return later.

uk
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Warning!!!!Jet Ski Pattaya

We had the same problem last year and we were a family with 3 kids.

The kids went on the jetski with their dad and afterwards they said the jetski had been damaged.

We went to the police with the men as they were demanding ludicrious sums of money.

When we got to the police station they held myself and the kids and said my husband had to go to get the money or we would all be put in jail.

There is nothing the police will do, you MUST pay up.

We were held in the police station until the money was got and handed over.

Avoid the jetskis at all costs as the violence used in front of our kids who were very afraid, was disgusting and condoned by the police.