We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which beach resort is best?

Which Pattaya hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
nottingham
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
which beach resort is best?

my boyfriend and i are thinking of visiting thailand for my holiday in the early part of next year. i intend to stay for 4 nights in bangkok and 7 - 8 nights on a beach. I am in a quandry because i do not know which resort to pick. i dont want to make the wrong choice. can anybody advise me and tell me what their experience of thailand is? we are both young and enjoy a varied night life. i.e going for nice meals, visiting bars....etc. we both like a bit of luxury so a really nice hotel is essential! also what is the best month to visit thailand?

Level Contributor
1,032 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which beach resort is best?

I live 2 years in Pattaya in the past 10 years and the choice of nice hotel is wide in Pattaya.

My favorite is the bungalow style Sugar Hut, about 100 dollars a nignt it' on the hill and it's the unique true thai style bungalow in thailand. For modern hotel the Montien in the center of the bay or the newest Sheraton, just open august 2005 are good choice.

In the city center the Marriott Royal Garden is good for shopping, is directly connected with an exclusive commercial center. Pattaya is good if you like night life and shopping, the beach are not so nice like Phuket or koh Samui, but they are acceptable.One of thevantage of Pattaya it's the cheap price in everithing.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which beach resort is best?

If you haven't settled on abeach area you have a lot of choice, remember Pattaya is a city at the sea as opposed to a 'beach' place, there are beaches near Pattaya that are much better than the beach in town such as Jomtien but if you are looking for tropical beaches you perhaps should be looking at places such as Krabi, Phuket and Phi Phi if traveling early in the year, those would give you more of the tropical beach places you have probably seen in photos and brochures, just pick up some brochures from yout local travel shop and browse and you will see the choices. If you wanted a quieter beach area close to Bangkok perhaps Hua Hin, but if you have not been to Thailand before I think a good idea to read up some to find which beach or island suits you both.

If you want some nightlife etc perhaps Phuket might be what you are looking for.

Phuket
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: which beach resort is best?

Uh . . . have to agree with Monica here. I looked here just because I was wondering myself where the good beaches are in Pattaya - never could find them myself.

For a good review of Phuket's Beaches:

http://phuketdelight.com/Best%20Beaches.htm

Ao Chalong / Rawai
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: which beach resort is best?

I agree with Ted in regard to beaches in Pataya and it would really be worth it on your part to check out the Phuket hotels and beaches on his websit.

From February the rates for most places will drop down from peak season prices. Weather and water conditions will be wonderfull untill the end of April and if you are planning to be here around the 13th. of April for the biggest celebration of the year. "Songkran" or the Thai Lunar New Year. Those of us who live here call this the "National Waterfight" and we have guests who come from around the world just for this period.

Good luck with the hotel hunting aand Ted's site should make things a little easier for you. You could also give a better idea of when you are planning to visit and what your accommidation budget would be and we would be able to offer you some better recommendations based on the info.

Regards From Phuket

Richard & Megumi

Phuket
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: which beach resort is best?

As long as we are "talking up" Phuket - an interesting page about the very best resorts on Phuket - all of which happen to be beachside (though no sea view from Banyan Tree) is located here:

http://5starthailand.com/best_of_the_best.htm

Or at least the first three resorts reviewed are on Phuket - there's also a really nice villa on Samui (great sea view - but no beach).