We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reserve domestic flights ahead? Which airlines?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Reserve domestic flights ahead? Which airlines?

Hi

We're a family of four travelling to Thailand end of June into July. We plan on going to Ko Samui, Chiang Mai, Siem Riep and Phnom Penh. Is it a good idea to reserve flights online ahead, or wait till we get to Bangkok and visit a travel agent there? Are there any other airlines to use other than Bangkok Air or Air Asia?

Thanks,

Christine

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reserve domestic flights ahead? Which airlines?

Bangkok to Samui is Bangkok Airways 'only', you can take a budget flight to Surat Thani on the mainland with One-2-Go but it's a long journey.

Bangkok to Chiang Mai- Thai Airways, Nok Air, Air Asia, One-2-Go, Bangkok Airways

Bangkok to Siem reap - Bangkok Airways

To Phnom Penh Thai, Bangkok Airways, Air Asia 'may' be flying the route or starting soon, you need to check their website.

You will probably find the bangkok Airways pass could give you the best deal for multiple sectors as you are including Siem reap which is a relatively expensive route, have a look at their Discovery pass, they do tickets from their NYC office. Check their website, they may have an agent in Canada.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reserve domestic flights ahead? Which airlines?

Thanks, Monica for your reply. I've heard that the Discovery Pass has limited flights and no seats on some flights. I will try getting in touch with a Vancouver Bangkok Air rep, but I'm wondering if you could recommend a travel agent in Bangkok who speaks English that I may be able to contact by e-mail as well.

Christine

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reserve domestic flights ahead? Which airlines?

I could recommend an agent in Bangkok but I honestly think you would find it easier dealing with Bangkok Airways direct for those flight sectors.

What it comes down to is that the Bangkok-Siem Reap flights are expensive (!) So instead of having to pay that expensive route with bangkok Airways if you have other flight sectors it then becomes viable to use the Discover yPass.

Bangkok Airways also operates Siem Reap Airways and they do 50 minute flights between Siem Reap and Phnom Penh, so you can do BKK-Siem Reap-Phnom Penh-Bangkok. ( The one way on Siem reap to Phnom Penh is about USD 56 one way )

1166 Alberni Street, Suite 1406, Vancouver, BC V6E 3Z3, Canada

Toll free: 1 866 BANGKOK

Fax: (604) 681 8953

yvr@bangkokairwaysna.com

You can use budget carriers up to Chiang Mai but worth contacting bangkok Airways with your routing and see what they can do.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reserve domestic flights ahead? Which airlines?

The Discovery Pass has to be done outside of Thailand, a local agent can't help you with that, and as for using one of the budget airlines to Chaing Mai from Bangkok those again the agent can't help with and you book online.

Air asia, Nok Air, One-2-Go , Thai Airways etc websites are all listed on

www.beachsiam.com/thailand.html

so you can check all those airline websites from there in one go.

UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reserve domestic flights ahead? Which airlines?

Hello Christine

Just a quick reply. If you book any flights with Air Asia that are to connect you to other flights be sure to have plenty of time between connections. Their listed flight times seem to be an approximation! We had 2 flights booked with them last week and both were 2 hours later than scheduled.

Thailand is fab. Have a great time!

SallyP

6. Re: Reserve domestic flights ahead? Which airlines?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, August 23, 2009