We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bangkok to ko samui

west midlands
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
bangkok to ko samui

can anyone advise the best method (cheapest if poss) to get from bangkok to ko samui we arraive on 19/2/2007 @0700

also a buget hotel for our first night in bangkok ,and for the first night in ko samui

regards dave

Mason, Ohio
Level Contributor
486 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bangkok to ko samui

Chepest way is to bus it! You can get a bus all the way through from khao San road to Samui for about ~500 baht. This is a little bit unpleasant (unless you are a midget with no sense of smell). Alternatives are to bus/train to Surat Thani and then take the boat. Or, similarly bus/train to Chumpon and then take the boat. http://www.lomprayah.com/

You have 3 flight options in decsending order of cost: from BKK to Surat Thani (AirAsia.com) 2) from U-Tapao (Pattaya) to Samui & 3) from BKK to Samui.

Asiarooms.com will give you a good range of ideas for BKK hotels. Sawadee.com good for Samui accomm.

This will give you some ideas www.kohtaocabana.com/getthere/index.html

Good luck.

Newton Aycliffe...
Level Contributor
544 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bangkok to ko samui

its only about £50 for a flight

Manchester
Level Contributor
34 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bangkok to ko samui

The average price for a flight with Thai Airways is about £50

However if you take the first or last flight of the day (about 6am or 9pm) you can go for about £25.. see online!

But bear in mind you have to get taxi to the airport which can bump this up considerably.

The next option is to take the Sleeper Train.. i did this on the way back to Bangkok, its an experience to say the least. Its so comfy and theres something about going to sleep and waking up at your destination thats really satisfying, and you get to see parts of Thailand you would miss if you flew..

This ticket is about £15

- never take the bus if you have respect for your rear end!

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bangkok to ko samui

Thai Airways do not fly to Samui.

One-2-Go to Surat and then bus and ferry is an option.

Lomprayah operate a bus/ferry combo from bangkok and Hua Hin to Samui, bus to Chumphon and then fast boat via Koh Tao and Koh Phangan, about USD 30 one way, flights of course so much faster. Check with any Bangkok Airways promotions.

Manchester
Level Contributor
34 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bangkok to ko samui

Woops my mistake

I meant Bangkok Airways. http://www.bangkokair.com/

UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bangkok to ko samui

hello Dave

We've just done the Bangkok to Koh Samui thing. We flew with Air Asia to Surat Thani (approx. £30.00), then took a bus and ferry across to Koh Samui which cost approx. £4.00. The flight takes 1 hour, the bus to the ferry 2 hours and the ferry 1.5 hours, so it's quite a long journey. You can fly directly from Bangkok with Bangkok Airways to Koh Samui it self but they charge around £150.00.

If you can be collected by your hotel from the ferry at Nathon on Koh Samui then that will save you money too as the island's taxis are really expensive.

A word of warning about Air Asia though. If you use them to connect with another flight, beware that their scheduled departure time bears no relation to actual flight times. Both our flights with them were 2 hours later than scheduled.

Hope you have a great time on Koh Samui, it's lovely.

SallyP

west midlands
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bangkok to ko samui

thanks for all the replies . can any of you recomend hotel in ko samui not to expencive but not a flea pit ?

Dave

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bangkok to ko samui

Cheapest way to fly is Thai airasia (15 pounds) to surat Thani and a three-hours bus/ferry trip to the island which is no hardship at all. The second-class sleeper train is 8 pounds and if you can sleep on trains, (like a baby in my case) then a great way to go.

UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bangkok to ko samui

Hello again Dave

We stayed at Temple Gardens in Bo Phut whilst we were there. It's £50.00 per night and sleeps 4. It's self catering, en suite, with pool etc etc. It was really lovely. 4 of us went, so between us it didn't work out too expensive. You can get cheaper, but I don't know of any where.

By the way, the flights I mentioned with Air Asia were return flights at £30.00. They are quite cheap. We would have liked to go by sleeper train as that sounds a real adventure, but we didn't have the time.

All the best,

Sally

Jersey GIrl in China
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: bangkok to ko samui

I'm surprised no one mentioned the train.

The train is about 12 hours - can get sleepers that are fairly comfortable. ANyway - that's what we're planning to do in a couple weeks. We've trained before in Thailand and like it. But we live in China so the thailand trains seem really nice. :)

you can find rates on asia discovery or thai focus.