We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Bangkok - Samui?

London
4 posts
Save Topic
Getting from Bangkok - Samui?

Hi. Im franticly trying to book flights to ko samui. I have been told the best thing to do is buy your flights to Bangkok and then once there just "jump" on a flight to Ko Samui for ��20 or so? Is it cheaper to do it this way rather than booking flights online from BKK-USM for ��90 return? If anyone could help, your a life saver...

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Asia
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Bangkok - Samui?

The currency prefix didn't show on my screen but I whoever told you that you could roll up at Bangkok Airport and grab a seat for 20 Euros/USD/British pounds ? B 4,000 return on Bangkok Airways ( about USD 100 ) is a promotional offer, the normal fare is about B 7,400. Bangkok Airways is the 'only' carrier on the route, there are budget airlines flying throughout Thailand but not to Koh Samui. If you can get USD 90 return I would grab it!

Mentioned in this post
London
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Bangkok - Samui?

Hi Monica,

I can get return flights to Ko Samui from Bangkok for 90 British Pounds...

You recon this is cheaper than what you would get if you turn up at Bangkok?

Regards

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Asia
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Bangkok - Samui?

You can get a Bangkok Air Discovery pass at USD 50 per sector, you have to buy at least 3 sectors, 3 sectors would cost USD 150 but it's not that easy to figure a routing with 3 sectors unless you did say Bangkok-Samui-Phuket-Bangkok, but those 3 sectors would be USD 150 which I guess is a little less than 90 British pounds. 4 sectors would give you 2 return flights, e.g Bangkok-Samui return and Bankok-Sukhothai or Bangkok-Chiang Mai returns, that would costs you USD 200 which I guess would be something like 110 British pounds or something like that. Check the bangkok Airways website and you can find their agent in britain for that 'Discovery Pass'.

Another thing is to use their early riser and late night flights, that is from Bangkok at 6 a.m or 10.20 pm down and the 6 am or 10 pm going back to Bangkok, those are B 2,000 each sector , that is about USD 52 each sector, using those flights would costs , that I think is around 50 to 55 British pounds return.

If you just arrive at the airport you could end up paying probably the full fare which is about the 90 return you are talking about.

www.bangkokair.com

If you want a slow option you can take an express bus / High speed catamaran which island hops, express bus from Bangkok to Chumphon and then the Jet-Cat via Koh Tao and Koh Phangan to Samui. leaves Bangkok 6 am get to Koh Samui just before 5 pm or leave Bangkok 9 pm get to Samui midday next day, now that costs B 1,000 each way, about 13 British pounds.

Those are your options really.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Koh Tao
Koh Tao
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Dublin
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Bangkok - Samui?

hi, I also was trying to do this last week, the only cheap flights are 2000 each way but at 6 am or 2330 at night. so I figured its just as painful to get an overnight train. Im doing that . Flights worked out euro 200 return for us. instead the overnight train is 20 euros. Im actually changing plans though and getting overnight train to Cheong mon adn then a boat to Ko Tao, spending 5 nights there then to Ko Samui. see www.sawadee.com for links to train site.

I have heard you can get cheap flights at airport too, but dont think I will risk it.

Dublin
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Bangkok - Samui?

hi, I also was trying to do this last week, the only cheap flights are 2000 each way but at 6 am or 2330 at night. so I figured its just as painful to get an overnight train. Im doing that . Flights worked out euro 200 return for us. instead the overnight train is 20 euros. Im actually changing plans though and getting overnight train to Cheong mon adn then a boat to Ko Tao, spending 5 nights there then to Ko Samui. see www.sawadee.com for links to train site.

I have heard you can get cheap flights at airport too, but dont think I will risk it.