We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent a car/drivers license in Koh Samui

Toronto
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rent a car/drivers license in Koh Samui

We have Canadian drivers license and was wondering if that would be a problem renting a car in Samui. Do they require international license?

Also, from some threads here, it seem safe to drive around the island...any place we should avoid or any tips on dos and don'ts while driving there?

Last questions, where to rent a car and what are rental prices like?

Thanks gain. This forum has been very helpful for us.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
3,024 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent a car/drivers license in Koh Samui

Hi hautumncloud. My husband renews his international drivers license every year before we head over to Thailand. CJ

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent a car/drivers license in Koh Samui

Issue of international licence goes like this... no problem renting the car... however... you may have problem with insurance in case of accident if you don’t have IDL.

When you hire they will ask for your passport for security... you ought to be able to just give then a photocopy.

We paid 800 baht per day from a small travel agent in frort of The Briza Resort on north chaweng.. it was a small 4x4 Suzuki.. low mileage ... nice car....

Driving is ok... signs are pretty good and other drivers seem to give way nicely... rhythm of traffic if steady as you go...

What scared me the most was motorbikes overtaking... both on the left and right hand side... simultaneously.....

Illinois, USA
Level Contributor
98 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rent a car/drivers license in Koh Samui

how do you get an international drivers license?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rent a car/drivers license in Koh Samui

your local motoring organization will issue it...

I don't know the cost in the US... Here in Australia it cost $20.00... it's issued over the counter.... Don't even need a pic... They are valid for one your only...

As far as I'm concerned it's a waste... but... if the insurance is in question... I guess it's worth it... Some countries don't want to know about it... but it's my impression that in Asia... they do.

There is also the issue of travel insurance cover.. in some cases credit cards provide some excess cover ... when you hire....

so check these issues out also to be sure.

Mona Vale, Australia
Level Contributor
119 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rent a car/drivers license in Koh Samui

Hi hautumncloud,

We had a hire car on koh samui in July & it was awesome, being able to take ourselves around the island. We were told there is just one thing to remember & that is that YOU will always be in the wrong if an accident happens, even if you are parked & they run into you. So IF (and its unlikely) you do become involved in an accident, offer money & try to get out of there b4 the police become involved so you dont waste time having to deal with the local police!

;)

UK
Level Contributor
404 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rent a car/drivers license in Koh Samui

You do not need an IDP to drive in Thailand providing your home country licence is in the English language or has a translation in it.

As regards insurance this is simple-you are either insured or you are not...it has nothing to do with an IDP.If you rent with a local dealer for 800 Bht a day,he will tell you you have insurance but quite often you will not and you will only find this out in the unfortunate event that you have an accident.If you can get the 800bht rate by going through a reputable hotel chain where you are staying then I would say this is fine....if not..and you enjoy taking a chance,then this is also fine...however its better to rent with somebody like Budget IMHO.For just about 200bht per day more you get a fully serviced car with proper insurance and backup..and you get the peace of mind that comes with that. Added to this if you want the car for the duration of your stay you can collect and return it to the airport thereby saving yourself at least a days rent by avoiding the rip off taxi drivers that plague the island.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rent a car/drivers license in Koh Samui

when we rented... there was an actual amount of excess written on the contract.... in case of an "at fault accident"... which in our case would have been covered by our own travel insurance...(we hoped)..

but do be careful... lots of stories about people being made to pay for dents they never caused. Take a pic of the car before you drive off... Or even better... as "hautumncloud" suggests..

hire from reputable company... this may be an oxymoron in Thailand though:-)

U.K.
Level Contributor
64 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rent a car/drivers license in Koh Samui

We were told the same thing about licences. If it's in English it's accepted.

I agree about who to hire from. Go to a reputable company and check the car over. Make sure the spare tyre and jack are in the boot. Mark any dents and scratches on the form and get it signed before you go away.

The bikers are totally nuts, they come at you from all angles so you need eyes everywhere. But it's a great (and safer) way to get around, so don't let this put you off.

9. Re: Rent a car/drivers license in Koh Samui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:23 am, August 20, 2009