We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

World Resort or Smile House

New Delhi, India
8 posts
Save Topic
World Resort or Smile House

Hi All

We would be in Koh Samui towards the end of June 14. We are looking for a suitable mid range family accomodation. We would be 3 adults and 2 children aged 10 and 5 years.

We would have already stays for 5 nights in koh tao before coming to samui. While researching for accomodation options, my requirements were - on the beach property so that we don't have to run around for towels, laid back dinner on the beaches, lively music, decent mid range family accomodation (2 rooms), hawkers for street food, decent massages (with a bit of privacy if possible), don't want to bump into girlie bars or lady boys if we decide to roam around a bit in the evenings, and good beach for kids to safely play in. Bophut perhaps, from what I' read in the reviews here, fulfills all except the last requirement (good beach). With good, I would say it's still ok if it's murky but soft and sandy. Rocky and grainy means one can only walk with floaters but not sit - not what we want.

With the above in mind, I ruled out even south chaweng (there were some decently priced options like baan talay, but not very sure about not bumping into things which kids should not see), and White House at choeng mon (choeng mon ticked all my requirements but only White House fit our budget. Didn't like the reviews of White House - almost everyone said the location was good, but the property was old, not upto date and the bathrooms were tired. Imperial boat house was out of our budget and samui honey cottages didn't have good reviews either).

With that, we were back to Bophut. I've got confirmations of family bungalow availability at both smile house and world resort. Can anyone let me know which has a better stretch of beach (soft, can sit down, with nice laid back night dinners on beach at hotel/ nearby). Smile I understand is in the middle of fisherman's village and so may be anyways fulfill th requirements (not sure of beach though). The room availability at Smile is the more expensive chalet. World resort is at the extreme end of Bophut, so am not sure of the night vibrancy on that side, and the beach quality. World Resort has both normal and luxury family villas available for choice at the moment.

Would be a great help if someone can throw more light on which resort to choose in light of the above.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Bophut
Bophut
Ko Samui, Thailand
Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: World Resort or Smile House

A few thoughts of mine - I have stayed in South Chaweng near Baan Talay several times with my young daughter (now a teen) we have never seen anything that we didn't want her to see. We went through the centre of Chaweng almost daily and still were fine. The girly bars etc are in a small side street a long way from Baan Talay that you won't just stumble over. I think you may be ruling this area out unnecessarily because of what you think you might see? There is no doubt in my opinion that the beach and sand here is better than Bophut.

Having said that, Smile House is a great family option and I am sure you would enjoy your stay there. The sand is probably between the two that you describe - it is not the white powdery sand but is more golden and coarser. It isn't like shellgrit though. I haven't spent a lot of time in Bophut so I'll let others give you more info about it.

I probably haven't helped you to choose between the two in Bophut, sorry! I would have suggested that Choeng Mon is pretty much exactly what you are looking for but you have already checked that out.

Mentioned in this post
Chaweng
Chaweng
Ko Samui, Thailand
Bophut
Bophut
Ko Samui, Thailand
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,145 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: World Resort or Smile House

Smile House is much more central than World Resort, we've stayed at both and liked both but for convenience I would choose Smile over World. The beach is pretty much the same at both (not the best on the island, but adequate). World is up one end of the beach so a bit away from the hustle and bustle of Fisherman's Village, but for ease of getting to restaurants and shops in FV then Smile wins hands down.

New Delhi, India
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: World Resort or Smile House

Hi JustAllie, thanks your the information on chaweng. Just to know, could u recommend any mid range resort in chaweng with either 2 family interconnecting rooms or a 2 bedroom villa.. - have you stayed in any at that place..thanks

New Delhi, India
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: World Resort or Smile House

Hi Cassnu, Thanks for the info. Which rooms do you suggest in smile for a 2 bedroom - the terrace bungalow or luxury chalet.. If the terrace bungalow is fine; i would prefer that - but I don't know if it's new/ refurbished etc as I've read on the forum that some rooms are quite old. Thanks

New Delhi, India
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: World Resort or Smile House

Hi All

Just discovered that Smile is not exactly on the beach? Does it not have its own beach? The hotel emailed me that it is 5-7 mins walk from the room they have available to the beach. Can anyone let me know a little more on this? I thought its ok to spend on the luxury chalet if at least its on the beach but what the hotel tells me is that only the restaurant is on the beach, all the rooms are away.

thanks

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: World Resort or Smile House

I think your original resort in Chaweng of Baan Talay might suit. Mid- range can mean different thing to different people! You could also look at Chaweng Cove in a family bungalow, they are one big room but you can divide it off into 2 sections. June is good price wise but wanting 2 rooms or a 2 bedroom villa with a limited budget does limit your options.

Mentioned in this post
Chaweng
Chaweng
Ko Samui, Thailand
7. Re: World Resort or Smile House

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 14, 2015