We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clearer picture of various areas to stay😃

ireland
Level Contributor
546 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Clearer picture of various areas to stay😃

Hi,

Can anyone please explain what the different areas in Ko Samui please and what type of holiday to expect in various areas...ie quiet or nightlife etc.

am trawling through loads of forum posts etc and am none the wiser.

As for our own personal preference-Not backpackers but looking for nice areas near restaurants, nice bars etc, maybe not too busy, plenty r&r with some attractions or things to do. Not really sure as first time to Thailand.

Looking for a quite beach but not totally void of atmosphere..no loud nightclubs.

Romantic or nice boutique accomodation from €30-€50 if possible.

Thanks very much for any clarity on areas.

Penny 😃

perth
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clearer picture of various areas to stay😃

Hi

When are you planing to go to Samui ? With your budget € 30 -€ 50 in low season it can be double or triple in peak season. Give us more details to help you.

You might also want to read this article regarding beaches in Samui www.stayinsamui.net/p/samui-overview.html

Cheers,

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clearer picture of various areas to stay😃

Hi, avoid Central Chaweng as that's the busiest area on the island, Choeng Mon might suit you but check out these websites to see what's available for your budget then check out the areas where the hotels are.

www.hotelscombined.com

www.sawadee.com

www.asiatravel.com

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,812 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clearer picture of various areas to stay😃

Avoid Central Chaweng - what rot!! Great area for a night out!!

Chaweng - 5km beach. Has busy bits (Between the late and the beach) and quiet bits north and south.

Lamai - similar to chaweng

Choeng Mon has a nice beach and quiet

Tongsai Bay is quieter

Bangkrat - has a smaller beach and more expat

Bophut - has a 'traditional' feel but touristy trys to be Gucci, gritty beach

Maenam - nice beach quiet

These are the more popular areas

Anything south and and west of Lamai will be quiet and remote, anything west of Maenam will also be quiet and remote, and anything north of Tongsai Bay is remote.

Your budget is pretty much posh backpackers . . . depending on when you are travelling, as Pea says prices can easily treble in High Season. I use hotelscombined.com for hotel price guidance. Although I suspect that the southern end of Chaweng is probably what you are looking for.

When you have a bit of a shortlist, come back for more info!

Hope that helps.

perth
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clearer picture of various areas to stay😃

Hi

+ 1 x 10 well said TM

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,155 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clearer picture of various areas to stay😃

Hi

one should read and comprehend post before answering

Looking for a quite beach but not totally void of atmosphere..no loud nightclubs.

avoid Central Chaweng as that's the busiest area on the island,

I am sure for some central chaweng is great

but others it is not

not everyone loves loud night clibs and drunks

perth
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clearer picture of various areas to stay😃

That's true not every one like loud music and clubs etc.

evey one loud music can be different too. My loud music according to my master 16 is too low.

in chaweng there's only one small pocket with all the clubs which called soi green mango and on the beach there's Ark bar that tended to have loud music. Some people stay in the resort right next to ark bar and never noticed any noise some would says too loud. We used to rent bungalow right next to ark bar for a number of years and never noticed much of the noise. That said my favorite beach is chaweng noi then I hear the complaints from the flolks that is too far for things.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,812 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Clearer picture of various areas to stay😃

I could hold my breath and walk from one end of the noisey bit to the end of the noisey bit.

The noisey bit is fun for a great night out. Not to be avoided, has some great reastaurants, bars and shops. You can head home at midnight you don't have to stay out until 9am. Hey we are grandparents in our 50s, 2am and I am done in!

We have stayed in the central area, and it was actually better than everyone makes it out to be. More options during the day.

I fully read and understood the post and answered it fully to my best ability! We have replied to the OP, I know I did with << Although I suspect that the southern end of Chaweng is probably what you are looking for >>

Stand by that totally!!

ireland
Level Contributor
546 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Clearer picture of various areas to stay😃

Hi,

Thanks a mill for the replies and suggestions. I shall go look them up tonight. Okay budget will Definately expand I think. A bit of luxury wouldn't go amiss. Love loud nightclubs etc at home but don't fancy missing a minute of holiday after night out!😄

Okay I will take all suggestions on board and shall report back. Thank you very very much.

😊

9. Re: Clearer picture of various areas to stay😃

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, April 09, 2015