We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which island is for us? Luxury, culture, gorgeous beaches?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
446 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Which island is for us? Luxury, culture, gorgeous beaches?

Hello Trip advisor experts,

I have been researching Thailand islands for the last week or so and I am more confused then when I had originally started. My husband and I are travelling to Thailand for only 7 days (2 little kids at home) for our 10 year anniversary. We are planning on spending 2 nights in Bangkok and then we would like to spend 5 nights in a beach area. We were told to either pick Koh Samui or Phuket (going end of June) but I am still unsure of which one is best suited for us. We are really looking for the post card Thailand beach views with a luxury resort. But we would also be like to close to the action so we can experience the lively beaches and beach bar experience. I was looking at the four season in Koh Samui, I really liked the luxury with Thai charm but it seems a little too secluded and away from the action. Is there a similar resort closer to Cheweng?

Looking for:

Island with culture (temples, markets, sightseeing) , gorgeous beaches and lots of activity

Resort: 5 star luxury but not too far from active beach and nightlife

Possible day trip to neighbouring islands?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
446 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Which island is for us? Luxury, culture, gorgeous beaches?

I do not have an issue with taking a 10 to 15 min cab ride to more populated areas but my question is more if we stay at Banyan Tree are all the Villas completely seperate are there common areas were people congregate for drinks etc. I am not worried about budget I am more interested about the experience and atmosphere of each resort.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
446 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Which island is for us? Luxury, culture, gorgeous beaches?

Thanks to the person who suggested Vana Belle, seems to offer the best of both worlds. I think it is now between Banyan and Vana Belle, I know they are both very different but how would you compare beach and service? Also aside from the small plunge pool at Vana Belle any other negatives I should be aware of? Also curious is Vana Belle recognizes SPG premium members in anyway? The SPG site mentions that they have limited participation in the program.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Which island is for us? Luxury, culture, gorgeous beaches?

You're welcome :)

I can't comment on the service in both hotels they are beyond my budget. However if you're after seclude beach then Baan Yan tree offer you that. Vana belle located on one of the best and beautiful beach but you do shares the beach with other resort nearby. That being said there are 6 resorts on the strip and very one of them have their own beach front so you will get privacy. There are a guards out the front you won't get hassle from other beach gores. The Vana belle are quite new ( open early last year). We stayed just down the road from Vana belle ( Impiana ) and never have any problem whir beach gores or vendors. The Vana bells also have the main swimming pool right out the front over look the beach ( guarantee no obstructed view, I checked ). From their website they listed Vana belle as luxury SPG group. There was also a thread in Bangkok forum a couple of weeks ago some one mentioned that Vana belle is with SPG group.

Good luck

Edited: 8:05 pm, March 20, 2014
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,382 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Which island is for us? Luxury, culture, gorgeous beaches?

Anantara Lawana is not well located. The Anantara Bophut has undergone extensive renovation and is a lovely property. IMO, much better than it's sister property Lawana.

Vana Belle looks lovely and the location is superb.

Cheers

Edited: 2:25 am, March 23, 2014
15. Re: Which island is for us? Luxury, culture, gorgeous beaches?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 25, 2015