We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

money

telford
Level Contributor
69 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
money

Hi!

Me and my boyfriend are off to Samui for 2 weeks in September.

Planning to take £600 each spending money..... Was hoping for some advice on how to take it.... either exhange it all into Bhat, or exhange maybe half of it, and take our debit cards with us??

What cards to cash machines take over there?? Do they charge a lot for using the cash point?

Are travellers cheques accepted in places???

Generally whenever i go away i just get all my money exchnaged.... however not sure if its a good idea incase it gets lost/stolen.....

How safe are safety boxes in rooms???

Please help!!!

thanks!

Newcastle N S W
Level Contributor
920 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: money

Hello

Don`t change any money before you leave the UK you will be ripped off compared to the rate you will get in Thailand/Samui.

I usually take a mixture cash & Visa debit card with credit card for emergencies.

Check with your bank to see if your card will work,mine wouldn`t that's why I got a Visa debit card I know I was getting charged $5 AUD each transaction so I would take the maximum amount(usually 10,000THB but depends on machine)to minimise the charges.

Travellers cheques are accepted at all the F/X booths around Samui but be aware there is a charge & you need your passport when changing.

If your staying in a resort that offers room safe they generally are safe at least from my experiences anyway.Normally these safes are the ones where you put your own code in.

Safety deposit boxes left at reception are always vulnerable to theft.

Hope this helps

Jamie

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,933 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: money

Hi be careful with safety box's in room

I never had any problem till my last trip I stayed at a hotel near airport I had any early morning flight.

either I punched in the wrong numbers the night befor or the wrong numbers too many times in the morning but the safe would not open and shut down. I had to call manager to try and open safe for me. my passport ,tickets and cash was all in there and i had only 1 hr to get to airport it was 6 am in the morning .at first manager said wait till the next shift came on. but after I explained the time crunch

he came up and got it open. they have a special interface they use to override the system."makes me wonder if they can get into safe anytime they want with the right equipment.

if you have laptops be sure and put in suitcase and lock up before you leave for the day or actualy any time you leave.

Nottingham,uk
Level Contributor
98 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: money

Most banks will charge you for using your card abroad but the Nationwide building society don't. I've just switched my accout to them for that reason. You could always open an account there and put some cash in before you go to use on holiday if you don't want the hassle of changing your account over.