We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's happened to the weather????

cambridge
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What's happened to the weather????

Been coming to Thailand for last 8 years and this has got to be the worst weather we have encountered. As I write this I am quite chilly on my sun bed under the grey cloudy skies!!!

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's happened to the weather????

Hi

Your Last 8 year in Thailand is it koh Samui or anywhere else ? This time of the year in koh Samui ( east coast) the weather always hit and miss as its tail end of rainy season.

Edited: 5:28 am, January 18, 2014
Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,205 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's happened to the weather????

I've been to Thailand many times at this time of year (going later this year as well as last year) and we had some cooller days in Samui at this time of year! It is the tail end of the monsoon winds just sending something. Drive to the other side of the island, often sunny and warm there!

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,371 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's happened to the weather????

It can vary so much, nothing is 'normal' anymore. Bangkok had really low temps last year and people were wearing hats and scarfs.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What's happened to the weather????

Cold again in Bangkok now, only 17C this morning :(

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
897 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's happened to the weather????

Well I hope it warms up by the time we get there on Wednesday!! although compared to what it is here in Alberta, Canada I am guessing it is pretty steamy there, if it's anything 25 or over, we will be happy :) Wouldn't mind some sun though!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's happened to the weather????

On Samui It was 26 degrees at 7am this morning, I think you'll be ok Tracy.

Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's happened to the weather????

Have to agree with Janeandmick, we've been here for four weeks and we've had about 40 percent of the time sunshine the other 60 percent it's been very overcast. Not really beach weather and the oceans have been rough and sea weedy. Thank goodness for spas, massages, shopping, bars, Muay Thai and resteraunts.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's happened to the weather????

Annoying I guess but remember the rest of the world is having odd weather as that is what weather can do anytime any year.

3 days ago I was sunburnt in NZ and it was 34+ and now we have snow on our hills and it was 10

I own a shop in a tourist town and it is something I hear all the time from my customers from around the world - "at home the weather is unusual at the moment." Australia heat wave, America and Canada bad storms, The Swiss say they have no snow just rain ........

Samui is a tropical island so its prone to having out of the blue periods of not so perfect weather.

Trust me a holiday in Samui on a sunbed in the clouds is better than a perfect day at work IMHO.

Hope it improves for you and others.

Midlands, Uk
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's happened to the weather????

I have read all your comments about Samui weather

We are looking to book there for beginning of February next year. Has anyone been in Feb.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
897 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's happened to the weather????

It's really not that warm out, we got here yesterday & this is the 3rd time we've been to Thailand..the other 2 times we boiled to death and find it quite cool this time..hmmmmm hope it warms up a little :)