We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Which area in Koh Samui - quiet but accessible?!

Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Help! Which area in Koh Samui - quiet but accessible?!

Hi, I am looking at going to Koh Samui for the first time later this year but am having trouble picking a location - I am travelling with my husband for a relaxing getaway but we want to be able to get out in the evenings for food etc. Do not want too much hustle and bustle and have read Chaweng is the most popular area so looking to go somewhere else a bit more quiet but with options to explore. Where would people recommend? I was thinking it looks like Lamai but wondered what some of the smaller beaches are like. Any advice appreciated.

Level Contributor
147 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Which area in Koh Samui - quiet but accessible?!

Hi Lk c,

You might like to look into choeng mon beach. A beautiful picturesque beach and the area retains a Thai village feeling. There are about 30 restaurants on the main road and some shops. It is a very peaceful area. You are only 10-15 minutes from both bophut and chaweng if you want a change of scenery, go shopping, nightlife etc.

We love the area. There are many hotels to suit all budgets.

Sth chaweng or chaweng noi might also suit you. Lamai is fairly busy but not as busy as chaweng.

Edited: 4:47 am, January 10, 2014
perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Which area in Koh Samui - quiet but accessible?!

Hi

I jwould look no further than chaweng noi beach. Chaweng noi ( my favorites beach)beach is half way between chaweng and Lamai beach. There are only 6 resorts on the strip, small beautiful beach white soft sand quiet. There are only few restaurants on beach and on the main road. If you want more options there are plenty of taxi and songhteaw that you can use to go either lamai or chaweng.

Chaweng noi is hidden gem!

Cheers,

Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Which area in Koh Samui - quiet but accessible?!

thats great, thanks. Yeh I wondered if Lamai was a bit more touristy than we were looking for. Will focus on choeng mon, south chaweng and chaweng noi. should at least narrow the search. budget wise looking around £70 a night so will see what I can find!

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Which area in Koh Samui - quiet but accessible?!

If you're thinking Lamai is a bit more touristy than you're looking for then you should discount South Chaweng from your list too. All of Chaweng, even the quieter South Chaweng is very built up, busy and westernised. They've also recently opened a noisy beach club in South Chaweng and the techno music it plays can be heard in once reasonably quiet (for Chaweng) resorts such as poppies and Buri Rasa.

I personally think Choeng Mon and Chaweng Noi would fit your criteria much better than Lamai or Chaweng. CN is between Lamai and Chaweng so easy to visit both should you want a busier night out and you can retreat to a peaceful night's sleep. CM is equidistance between Bhoput and Chaweng so easy to visit both resorts- the former for great food and the latter for a noisy manic night out.

Bhoput is much quieter, laid back and slightly more upmarket than Chaweng. That resort might also be worth considering as unlike Lamai and Chaweng it has no girlie go go bars.

Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Which area in Koh Samui - quiet but accessible?!

Thanks twiggyrex that is useful to know. Would you recommend any particular accommodation in choeng mon or chaweng noi?

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Which area in Koh Samui - quiet but accessible?!

In Choeng Mon, The Imperial Boathouse, Kirati, The White House and Samui Honey cottages. Sweetpea's probably the best person to advice on hotels in Chaweng Noi.

Wiltshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! Which area in Koh Samui - quiet but accessible?!

Hi. Bophut is defiantly worth alook - we loved it and the Baan Bophut will definitely be in your budget.

Mags

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! Which area in Koh Samui - quiet but accessible?!

We stayed at the Lanna Suites. Magnificent resort with excellent service. Not on the beach, but 10min. walk from the beach and a short taxi ride to multiple areas for excellent dinners.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,930 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! Which area in Koh Samui - quiet but accessible?!

You could also look at Maenam . . . very peaceful.

northants
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! Which area in Koh Samui - quiet but accessible?!

We are going soon to the Mai Samui Resort and Spa, booked flights and hotel through Travelbag, great price and reviews are fantastic. situated on quite part of isand but free shuttle to everywhere on island.

We can't wait to go