We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thai Rent a Car opinions

New York, New York
Level Contributor
51 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Thai Rent a Car opinions

Decided to rent a car for the 4 days while in Koh Samui. Did some research and the two companies at the airport with the best prices are SIXT and Thai Rent-a-Car. Coming from the USA, I have used SIXT when driving in Europe, but never used Thai Rent a car. What is the general opinion with Thai Rent a car? Thai is priced $140, SIXT is $160 and Hertz is ~$200.

thanks

Canberra
Level Contributor
574 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Thai Rent a Car opinions

Of the major franchisees, we've used Hertz the last couple of years, they seem to be consistently well-priced and their service is good. Also no payment or even CC up front, so you can easily change if a better deal comes up, sometimes they do, via Bangkok Air offers or direct promotions. I've even cancelled one Hertz booking and created another at a better rate as a deal came up.

But do check the car thoroughly on pickup, including tires, take photos of any damage. Also, they often/sometimes seem to deliver the car with slightly less than a full tank, it's hard to judge the same level on return, so they probably score a few litres each time.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
51 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Thai Rent a Car opinions

thanks for the tips Red.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
429 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Thai Rent a Car opinions

Lisa S if you're on TA and not lying in a hammock under a palm tree with a cocktail in a coconut in your hand... Can I ask how you got on with your CH Jeep hire? Price? Reliability? Room for 3?

Cheers

Phil

Edited: 5:02 am, December 19, 2013
Sunshine Coast...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Thai Rent a Car opinions

They are a rip off! Never gave our deposit back! Emailed rang for over a year and no success!

Sunshine Coast...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Thai Rent a Car opinions

They were great, until they didn't give our deposit back! Total RIP OFF!!! Been trying for over a year to get deposit back, but they give a, Nigerian internet scam letter response!! I've rang them, obviously tried on the day of return, I've emailed, everything!

Pay deposit in cash, not card...you ll never get it back other wise!

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Thai Rent a Car opinions

Thai Rent A Car are very competitive and offer a good service. Don't do what I did and use a debit card. You need to provide a security deposit and if you use a debit card for this you will have to watt for up to 6 months for it to be reimbursed back into your bank account. Better to use a credit card if you can...

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Thai Rent a Car opinions

I am still wafting for my deposit...Like previous reviews...Be careful about your deposit

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Thai Rent a Car opinions

06 August 15 and still waiting for hire car deposit...Has now been nearly 8 months. This company in Hua Hin is a complete rip off. Stay away.

Kuala Lumpur...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: Thai Rent a Car opinions

Hi.

just one note, the roads in koh samui island has many inner roads. Some might not be pick up easily in your gps or navigation guide.

20. Re: Thai Rent a Car opinions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 09, 2016