We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never Been

Bolton, England
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Never Been

Hi all

Ihave neer been to Thailand and have just got a price on the Silva Evison or Le meridien resort and not sure gong off traveller reviews if these are good or not. Can anyone help?? Also we were offered flights wither either Qatar of Eva air, have flown with Qatar but never Eva Air so wondered if anyone had info on this also, sorry forgot to say business class.

Lastly I have been reading reviews on here and am a little concerned about mosquitos as they d o seem to like me, is it as bad as it sounds?

Thanks for any help and I apologise if I am asking questions that have been asked a million times xx

Great Yarmouth...
Level Contributor
788 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Never Been

Hi Mollie

I have recently returned from Thailand and it too was my first visit.

I travelled on Eva Air and I found their new plane to be of a high standard. I wan't fortunate enough to travel business class, but even in economy there was a feeling of space due to the 3-3-3 configuration. The meals were good too and service was efficient. My only complaint is that they don't change the movies on the return leg from Bangkok so you end up watching the same things as you did on the way out. Of courser this is not a problem in business as you have the personal dvd players! I have travelled long haul many times and I would definitely use EVA again if i was travelling to Thailand.

As for the mossies, i usually get eaten whilst away from the UK but i had little problem in Koh Samui. I got bit maybe 5 times which is fantastic for a 2 week break, I found that as long as you put on mossie repellent in the early evening around the ankles, knees, wrists and elbows, this seems to do the trick.

I have not stayed at the mentioned 2 hotels but as a Travel Agent they are both reliable names and i would hope there service is off top quality. I am sure either property would be fantastic.

Are you stopping in Bangkok as well? I did 5 days Bangkok and 8 days Ko Samui. I thought this was excellent as after spending time sight seeing and shopping in Bangkok its great to think you have a whole new different holiday to look forward too as well!

Hope this helps.

Bolton, England
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Never Been

Jimbo

I didn't consider stopping in Bangkok as not sure what it is like as in would I feel safe. If we fly with Qatar we have an overnight stop in Bangkok which I am sure could be extended if we wanted to.

Is it worth doing both places?

Great Yarmouth...
Level Contributor
788 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Never Been

For me, i would say yes. It was very interesting and as i said a great contrast in the two places. I can see though how people would not enjoy Bangkok. Its very lively, very warm, its in-your-face, its a little smelly too! But, its full of history and culture. The Temples are unbelievable. For me, it rated above Ko Samui (only slightly though!). The people are very welcoming and i never felt threatened during my stay. Tour East organise some fantastic day trips too.

As i may have said, i travel long haul every year (perks of being a Travel Agent!) and until this year i have never stopped off at any of the Far East stops for a "holiday", generally its a 4 - 8 hour wait in the airport before heading on.

So, i'd give Bangkok the thumbs up ,but if the hustle and bustle of City Life doesn't appeal then maybe this isn't the right place for you.

4. Re: Never Been

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:33 am, August 15, 2009