We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

have we made a mistake??

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
have we made a mistake??

4 weeks to go till 2 months in Thailand..arrive Bangkok.for a few days.then onto Koh Samui ..planned for 8 weeks but now reading all the posts on the forum are wondering if we have made a big mistake.....weather?..red flag beaches?...We are planning on budget accomodation so no fancy swimming pools....don't want to go to Phuket as went there last year for a month...

Beginning to get despondant before we even leave..can you cheer us up please!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks 2 ageing backpackers!

Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
760 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: have we made a mistake??

Hi, we stayed on Samui for Christmas a few years back! yes we had a few showers but we were on the beach everyday body boarding in the waves! it was fantastic! When it did rain we head off for a massage or a relaxing drink so it wasn't a problem for us at all. We stayed in cheap accommodation with a small pool to which wasn't suitable for lounging around in for long and it was one of our best Christmases ever! I am sure you will enjoy it. Hope that helps!

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: have we made a mistake??

Depends where you're staying and how much rain bothers you. Some parts of the island seem to suffer from rougher sea currents at different times of the year and suffer more than other areas from flooding during heavy rain.

Yes there will be red flags up on some beaches in December and January. I wouldn't even enter the sea apart from to paddle ankle deep at the edges when the red flags are up. Tourists have drowned in the rip tides in Chaweng but only because they were daft enough to swim in heavy seas and ignore the red flags. I would be very surprised if it was red flags every day during an 8 week stay, so just swim on the yellow/green flag days.

Yes it will also rain but how much, well who knows. You could be lucky and get a mixture of hour long heavy showers and be sunbathing for the rest of the day. Equally you could have rain all day every day for a few days. It also might not rain at all. The monsoon rains have failed to appear a few times in recent years.

What I will say is that I was in Thailand a few years ago when Koh Samui had one of its worst storms ever but it didn't spoil my holiday. From what I saw South Chaweng was one of the worst affected places on the island and chest high in water in places and took weeks to get back to normal. That's because its so densely built up that there was no where for the rain to run off. Other less developed areas such as Choeng Mon and its neighbouring bays suffered far less from the floods and were back to normal almost immediately the rain stopped. Storms that severe aren't that common though. I've been twice to Samui at the end of January (for 3 weeks both times) and had very little rain and saw very few red flags. Perhaps we were lucky but on the one day it did rain, it was for half a day and once the sun came out, within an hour you would not have know it had been raining earlier.

Even during the worst storms ever the weather was still warm and the hotel and area we stayed at, so beautiful that even raining, its was still far nicer than being in England. It gave a good excuse to hit the spa for saunas and facials and to indulge in room service and several large cocktails while being awe struck and just marvelling at the power of nature.

So would I cancel the trip, yes if you want guaranteed sun all day everyday and want to be able to guarantee ocean swimming every day. No if you're willing to gamble on a bit of rain + a few red flags. If the latter you could always switch to the Andaman coast, say Krabi.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: have we made a mistake??

Hi

I am agree with twiggyrex with 8 weeks I don't think it will have red flagged every day. But it come down to which beach you go to.

Bophut, Maenam, bang Po, Bangrak and cheongmon beach are calmer sea at that time. But make sure you take warnings seriously red flags No swims period. There were a few drawing in the past some make to the news some don't. We knew about drowning because our friend is volunteers rescue team.

Don't thinks too much just go with the flow. We go almost every year post Xmas. Some year we had more rains some year we had less. But when is rains never all day rains often just a short sharp rains the sun come out. Once the sun come out the beach come alive again everything back to normal massages hut, beach vendor etc.

I would want to go for 8 weeks :) happy holiday wherever you chose to go !

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: have we made a mistake??

You say you're going in 4 weeks, a couple days in Bangkok then assuming you're onto Samui.

By my reckoning that puts you on Samui at the very beginning of December, smack in the middle of the east coast monsoon season. Every chance you'll cop a whole lot of rain if the monsoon actually arrives. A chance you might get some sun as well.

Since you've got 8 weeks I'd try and delay getting to Samui until the last 4 or even 3 weeks of your holiday so you arrive post Christmas / NY's for a chance at nicer weather.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,935 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: have we made a mistake??

I'd be looking at maybe doing 50/50, possibly Krabi/Trang/Khao Lak or somewhere on the west coast and then Samui for the last half of your trip.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,166 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: have we made a mistake??

Agree, why the whole 8 weeks in Samui ?

Spend a few more days in Bangkok, visit Chiang Mai and then some West (Andaman) cost beach time before Samui.

7. Re: have we made a mistake??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, November 02, 2014