We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car or jeep

East London, South...
Level Contributor
54 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a car or jeep

Is it necessary to have an International drivers permit or is your current drivers license sufficient - Mine is South African. My daughter whom I am joining has an Australian one. We may not even rent a car so seems a bit of a waste to get one specially.

Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car or jeep


By laws yes you do need IDP. But they seems to have lots of contradiction regarding of this issues. However if your daughter is in Australia then she should get one as its only $37,1 passport photo and take less fan half an hour. IDP will last one year.

IDP is really for your travel insurance. If you drive without one and anything happens and claims need you may not covers by travel insurance. We never go without one.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,806 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car or jeep

You hear various opinions as to whether you need an IDP or not.

Agree with Pea! We always get one! We work on the principle it is better to not have than need and not have!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a car or jeep

For such little hassle and dollars an IDP is an essential and easy thing to do.

Your daughter need only go to any office of her states Motoring Association with a passport photo, her current DL and less than $40 and they'll give her an IDP in less than 5 minutes. Simple, cheap peace of mind.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
5,078 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a car or jeep

IDP is a piece of cake to get!!

Cheers Mac

Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a car or jeep

You should definitely get one for the small price it gives you peace of mind and although the rental offices don't ask for it if anything happens you'll be glad you got it.

Tongson bay, koh...
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a car or jeep

hi guys

my understanding is that you do NOT need an IDP to drive in thailand

you home licence [if its in english ] is all thats needed to drive for up to 30 days

[thailand has a reciprocal agreement with Australia ]

non of my guests over the last 10 years have needed one

but you do need to read the fine print in your personal insurance

below is copied from this site

up to you



According to the UN Traffic Act of 1949 and the Thai Traffic Act of 1979, an IDP is not required if you are a tourist/visitor in Thailand as long as your license is in English, has a photo, and your country is a contracting state of the 1949 treaty, which most are. (See motoring law below) If you are a resident, however, you require a Thai drivers license. As a tourist, rental car companies, insurance companies and police will all accept your home license. Still, it not a bad idea to obtain a legitimately issued INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT (IDP) before you leave your home country.

East London, South...
Level Contributor
54 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a car or jeep

Thanks - will check the ins and then decide...

8. Re: Renting a car or jeep

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, November 05, 2014