We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR- october 2013

Cardiff
Level Contributor
590 posts
159 reviews
Save Topic
JBR- october 2013

Hi all

We have just returned from a wonderful 10 night stay in Koh Samui, and I would love so share some of highlights with you all.

We stayed at Harry's bungalows in Mae Nam for 8 nights, leaving for 2 nights in Chewang, during our stay, then returning to Harry's for the last 3 nights.

Harry's was perfect for us, in a great peaceful location, 5 minutes from the beach and close to a few very good local restaurants.( see my separate review of Harry's) We had contacted them prior to our holiday, and they were there to pick us up from the lovely airport on arrival.

We arrived at about 20:00 and just went our for a light meal at the Luna Hut on our first evening.

It was our 25th wedding anniversary the next day and we woke to beautiful blue skies and it stayed like that for the next 7 days. AfTer breakfast we took a walk to the centre of Maenam, about 15 minutes walk, and just had a look around to get our bearings. We walked back, and had lunch on the beach at COCORICA. Harry's had a wonderful pool area, which was perfect for relaxing and reading, which we spent many hours doing so, almost every day.

We had our anniversary meal at John's Garden, a local restaurant, and it was indeed special.

We went to Fisherman's village Bophut, a couple of times, which we loved, had cocktails and beer sitting on bean bags on the beach at the waters edge, a perfect way to spend an hour before dinner.We had 2 great meals in Bophut, in Nirvana and restaurant 56, the best meals of our trip, better than Barracuda in Maenam IMO.

On day 4, we hired a driver, Marco, who took us around the Island, He picked us up at 09:30, and we returned at around 17:00, total cost approx £60. We saw the big Buddha, Grandmother and Grandfather rocks, stopped off at a couple of look out points, one by the Cliffs restaurant, amazing. We saw Crystal beach, many temples, went to a street market where the locals shopped and 3 of us had lunch at a little spot on the roadside for 300 baht!!!! We had a lovely day out with a knowledgeable guide who has a coffee shop/bar opposite Coco Palms hotel in Mae Nam.

We then went to Chewang for the weekend staying at the Centara Grand( see my review), and had a great time there too, but 2 nights was enough for us. We went to Starz caberet and saw the Ladyboy show, just fabulous and would do again. We say a band the next night in one of the English bars, pretty cool. Did a bit of shopping, hubby wanted a watch which he drove a hard bargain for. We also found a Reggae bar- called Rasta bar, just a little walk from the hotel and had a good couple of hours there with live music, a thai guy, playing Reggae music, pretty cool.

We then returned to Harry's for our final few days, it was lovely to get back to the tranquility after the liveliness of Chewang, We met a Welsh guy in Maenam, who had moved to Maenam a couple of years ago and spent a few hours over a couple of nights having a beer with him and he was telling us about his new life, which was so interesting.

All in all we had a wonderful time. The thai people are so lovely and kind, and go out of their way to help you have a fabulous time. Some of them have very little, but love to hear about your life and practice their English with you, especially those working in the restaurants.

I miss it already and will be sure to go back as soon as we can.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
590 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JBR- october 2013

Forgot to add, the best night we had was the Walking street in Maenam, amazing food, cocktails at 60baht, music and many locals mixing with the tourists, just a lovely atmosphere and much better than the one in Chewang. It is every Thursday in Mae Nam, just by the traffic lights- definitely worth a visit.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,568 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JBR- october 2013

Lovely report! Thanks for sharing!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JBR- october 2013

Great report.

We love the Rasta bar too and have spent many evenings there, chatting to the boys running it and people watching.

I don't suppose the Welsh guy played the guitar. We met a Welsh guy that moved to Maenam he was having dinner with a friend at a restaurant called Gaeng Pet in Chaweng and they have a guitar there for people to play. This guy was amazing and could sing.

Sounds like a fab holiday! Glad you enjoyed and I can guarantee you will be back. It's a great bug to get :)

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JBR- october 2013

Great JBR, thanks for sharing your experience. I am sure it has been very helpful, particularly people who may be looking for good budget accommodation in KS.

I am sure that this won't be your last trip to KS, it gets under your skin and you just have to return :)

Cardiff
Level Contributor
590 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JBR- october 2013

Just on TA now reviewing old posts and came across your comments JustAllie and you are so right. We have been twice and thought after the second time that we would try somewhere new, but after a lot of research looking for 2 weeks somewhere next September, just keep coming back to KS, can't convince myself to book anywhere else, so may just bite the bullet and book again in the New Year, it does get under your skin,

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
5,028 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JBR- october 2013

Great Report. Thanks for taking the time to share your holiday with us!!

Cheers Mac

7. Re: JBR- october 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 24, 2014