We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Evening dress code in 4-5 star hotels?

UK
Level Contributor
67 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Evening dress code in 4-5 star hotels?

We will shortly be visiting Bangkok (The Conrad), Phuket (Twinpalms) and then Ko Samui (Sala Samui). What is the usual dress code for eveing in hotels of this standard? I get the impression Thailand is a pretty casual place but don't want go out for dinner and find we are under dressed! In European 5 star hotels men would be expected to wear long trousers etc.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Evening dress code in 4-5 star hotels?

hi.

two years ago when we were in bangkok and in phuket staying at 5 star hotels.in bangkok morning and afternoon i was wearing blue jeans and polo shirts and in the evening again jeans or a linen long trousers with a linen shirt or something like that and i found out that this was perfectly o.k.my wife was wearing pretty much the same outfit.

in phuket all day we were wearing t-shirts - shorts and bathing suits and in the evening blue jeans or linen long trousers with smart casual shirts.my wife in the evenings was wearing a pair of trousers and a fancy blouse or a simple dress of good quality.

so nothing to extreme and formal.

this year we are going to thailand again and we intent to wear the same style of clothes as in the previous time.

and a tip:while in bangkok you will see many amazing temples where you will not be able to enter unless you dont take off your shoes so have some pairs of athletic socks with you so not to get inside on bare foot.after such visit and when you return to your hotel put a foot cream (like lamisil foot cream)as a precusion to avoid any infections by bacteria.

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Evening dress code in 4-5 star hotels?

Hi Princess,

We've just come back from Samui and Krabi and we stayed at the Sala Samui. You're going to love it.

As for the dress standard it is very casual. We stayed in a resort in Krabi as well and in both places, trousers / pants were not seen. A nice pair of shorts with polo shirt or similar / collar will more than suffice and a pair of sandals / shoes. Having said that, we saw plenty of people who were dressed in a very casual and way and there didn't seem to be any issues with the resorts or restaurants.

Temples were different and can only agree with the last post on that one. But you can relaxed and I'll eat my hat if you feel under dressed.

Some of the restaurants we went to were absolutely beautiful in setting and atmosphere and I wouldn't have felt comfortable going to daggy anyway. But I did take pants because of similar concerns to yours and truly.. never took them out of the suitcase for the whole time we were there.

Have fun.

sheffield uk
Level Contributor
73 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Evening dress code in 4-5 star hotels?

Just been to Sala Samui,

Wonderful place, location on beach, pool area, staff, rooms great'

No dress code, its whatever you like for comfort. Ladies- anything goes- men - shorts. Saw some young trendies in jeans but good heavens 90 degres and plus humidity - saddoes!!!

4. Re: Evening dress code in 4-5 star hotels?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, August 13, 2009