We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car ferry to Samui

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
416 posts
694 reviews
Save Topic
Car ferry to Samui

Hi everyone,

We are thinking of driving to Samui from Penang end September, and looking for info like price and ferry times

and anything else we should know/.be aware of

Thanks

Ozzy

Tongson bay, koh...
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Car ferry to Samui

hi guys

ive had to sleep at the pier because there was so much traffic in line

arrived at 3 pm and still never made last crossing because others had booked in advance

like all the transport companies ferrying petrol, food , etc etc

if at all possible try to book in advance

cheers

DC

Kanchanaburi...
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Car ferry to Samui

Hi Sweetpea

You must be very lucky. I used to travel back to Malaysia every 3 months in all the years that I stayed in Samui and in many occasions I had to stay overnight in Surathani because the ferries (both Seatran and Raja Ferry) was fully booked even though I arrived at the port by 4pm. So I would say book in advance if you can from my experience.

Edited: 1:04 am, September 15, 2013
perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Car ferry to Samui

Yes I must be the lucky one :) like I said we only had to wait for hours once.

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
416 posts
694 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Car ferry to Samui

Thanks sweetpea, ..that's helpful to know.

We are thinking now that we might also spend some time in Koh Phangan. Can someone tell me if it's possible to take my vehicle across from Samui to Phangan, and then back to the mainland on the ferry?

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Car ferry to Samui

No unfortunately you can't take the car from koh Samui to koh phangan directly. You will have to go back to mainland then car ferry back out to kh phangan. Alternatively leave your car in koh Samui go over to koh phangan comback take the car and back to mainland.

Tongson bay, koh...
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Car ferry to Samui

hi guys

you will also need to check that the vehicle has insurance from one country to the other

i drove all the way to penang [from samui] and found out later that i had gone thru without insurance

next time we went [and did insurance] had to get vehicle details translated at extra cost [and wasted time ]

maybe from Malaysia toThailand might be different /easier but check anyway

cheers

DC

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
416 posts
694 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Car ferry to Samui

Good to know ahead of time that we can't take the car across... probably leave it in Samui, I guess.

Re the insurance issue, I can tell you that it's no problem from Malaysia into Thailand... there are several shops on both sides of the border where you can buy insurance. Cost is around RM20 per week, or less for one month.

Thanks again guys

18. Re: Car ferry to Samui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 18, 2014