We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The beaches don't look great

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Topic
The beaches don't look great

I'm coming to Bangkok in a few weeks, and my intention was to do a few days in Phuket while i'm there. However, was completely unaware how bad the weather is, so perhaps looking at Koh Samui.

The only problem is, the beaches look rubbish ! I like my 'postcard beaches' , and big large resorts. Although some resorts look good, they are tarnished with dreadful beaches.

Perhaps i;m just looking at the wrong resorts and areas. Any advice?

I don't want to be miles away from some entertainment and shops nearby, and want a good luxury resort with a lovely scenic beach.

Any help ?

wales
Level Contributor
132 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The beaches don't look great

Try Centara Grand. Seems to tick all your boxes

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The beaches don't look great

It sounds like you want to stay in Chaweng which is packed wall to wall with restaurants, bars, shops and clubs but there are no luxury resorts in Chaweng. Centara Grand is a 3.5-4 star hotel which at this time of year will be packed with families and Children. If you've got kids you should be ok but if you're single and want top end luxury then stay elsewhere.

The closest to Luxury in Chaweng is probably the library (stark minimalist) or Anatara Lawana. Neither are luxury but as close as you'll get in Chaweng.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The beaches don't look great

Hi

If you re looking for large resort and in beautiful beach then two come in mind.

Centara grand beach resort 4* in south chaweng beach with large swimming pool, big beautiful ground. The south chaweng beach are one of the best white soft sand.

Imperial boat house a very large resort on cheongmon beach beautiful beach with white soft sand

Both resort are easy access to bars and restaurants but cheongmon beach are a lot quieter than south chaweng beach.

If you want luxury

Salsa Samui and Maung Samui suite and villas in cheongmon beach.

Chaweng noi beach of you want beautiful beach but there are none of the large resort. Most of them are medium size resort. Also chaweng noi beach are very quiet with just a few restaurants and bars. You will need to taxi in to others areas for more options. coming from Phuket you might disappointed as koh Samui are a lots smaller not many areas or beaches to choose from like they have in Phuket.

The whole of Phuket island are province whereas koh Samui is just district one of many of Surathani province. You might like to look at koh phangan beaches.

Cheers,

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,205 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The beaches don't look great

Whatever beaches have you been looking at? What resorts do you think are so terrible . . . then we can sort of figure our what you have been looking at and what your budget is.

Central Chaweng beach (which is actually the northern bit) sounds right up your street!! Centara Grand whilst fitting the big resort (why??) might not hit the mark on the luxury.

Trouble is when you see it all through a vitual world thinking some Samui resorts look good, they are tarnished with dreadful beaches, guess you haven't made it down to Phuket yet then . . . . . . As Pea says Samui is much, much smaller than Phuket, and to be honest whilst there are more busy areas in Phuket the beaches are pretty much the same same. The big Gucci resorts on both islands tend to be on small or remote beaches, so you will have to compromise somewhere . . . The big luxury resorts tend to be more remote as that is what folks paying that tab like, they are often not overly worried about a beach as they have villas with private pools. Whilst those that want something cheaper head to the popular beaches and either pay to be beach side or go for a cheaper option, walk to the beach but have the night life and restaurants.

Guess it all comes down to what Wonga you want to part with.

warwickshire
Level Contributor
176 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The beaches don't look great

Hi ricky

I think you are a very lucky man!

Pea has disembowled men who have said less about the beautiful beaches of koh samui!

As others have already said south chaweng and cheong mon are some of the best but there are so many more and on the west side of the Island are beaches that you can have almost to yourself.

Go and enjoy.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
550 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The beaches don't look great

The beach from Baan Chaweng south would leave any beaches in Phuket for dead. There are heaps of resorts in this area that are located right on the beach to choose from.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The beaches don't look great

Beaches are good on Koh Samui

Choengmon

silver bay

crystal bay

chaweng noi

baan taling gnam

koh mudsum

maenam

bangrak

bangpo

samrong bay

plai laem

lots for such a small island

been to many beaches in Phuket but prefer koh samui beaches

8. Re: The beaches don't look great

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 09, 2014