We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AA International Driving Permit (IDP)

London, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
AA International Driving Permit (IDP)

Hello fellow travellers,

Do you know if i will need the AA International Driving Permit for me to hire a Jeep / Car in Koh Samui, i intend to do this at the end of this month when i am there but just want to make sure i got everything before i come over :-) I dont intend to use the Expensive care hire companies on the island like AVIS that are close to the airport but local hire as many of yous have done from reading on TA.

Also does anyone know the price i will pay to hire a car?

Thank you.

Thanks,

Andy.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AA International Driving Permit (IDP)

You need it mostly to validate your travel insurance claim should any accident occur with the hired vehicle.

It's simply safest to have it though I highly doubt anyone from the hire company will ask you for it.

An officer might if you happen to get stopped on the road.

You should be able to get a jeep for under 1,000 baht a day depending on which local company you go with.

http://www.chtours-samui.com/en/rent.htm have worked well for me in the past.

Enjoy Samui.

Edited: 5:57 am, July 16, 2013
Belfast, Northern...
Level Contributor
117 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AA International Driving Permit (IDP)

We are just back and my hubby and I hired a car for 2 days and he had got his International Driving Permit before we travelled for £5.50 why would you not?

perth
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AA International Driving Permit (IDP)

Hi

The car hire won't ask for you're driver license or your international driving permit but as Matt says you will need it if any unfortunate event occers and claims needed. In front of me is my travel insurance for my up coming trip and it clearly stated that if you operate motor vehicle without IDP and appropriate license. your travel insurance will / may be invalid.

There are some people will tell you different story( that you don't need one). But For the sake of just a few dollar with one passport photo go and get one.

4. Re: AA International Driving Permit (IDP)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 18, 2014