We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Stay??????

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Where to Stay??????

Hello, we are family of 3, 2 adults and an 8 year old daughter. We are looking at coming to Koh Samui next July. We thought we would come for 10 days staying 5 days at The Four Seasons but not too sure on the next location/resort. I have heard that the Four Seasons is in the quieter part of Koh Samui and not really walkable to restaurants etc which sounds lovley but can anyone recommend and luxury resort on another part of Koh Samui where we can walk to restaurants and shopping etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to Stay??????

Yes, the 4 seasons is quite remote and not much around there. With kids check out the Centara in South Chaweng, it's on the best stretch of beach but quieter than Central Chaweng or the Imperial Boathouse in Choeng Mon both are good options.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to Stay??????

Hi

Both imperial boathouse in Cheongmon beach and Centara grande in south chaweng I wouldn't considering luxury hotel but both are solid 4*. Both easy walk to shops restaurants and bars but Cheongmon beach are a lot quieter than south chaweng beach.

If you want 5* there's Sala Samui on Cheongmon beach

Vana belle 5* in chawrng noi beach quieter than cheongmon beach with just a few of resultant and bars but beautiful and same qaulity as south chaweng and Cheongmon beach.

If the beach not top priority ( the beach in bophut are not the best due to sand qaulity grainny and grotty but swimmable) then perhaps check out ..

Hansar beach reosrt

Zazen beachnresort and Anantara bophut resort might take your fancy. These resort are within walking distance to famous fihserman village for shops, bars and restaurants.

Cheers,

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to Stay??????

If you're after a luxury hotel that's within walking distance of a lot of shops and restaurants but that's on a par with the Four seasons then it doesn't exist. That's one of the best hotels on the island and every hotel of that standard is going to be in an equally remote area (by remote I mean at least a 10 minute cab ride from one of the 2 busier resorts of Bhoput and Chaweng), which is where the bulk of the restaurants and shops are. You'll be staying in a villa at FS, so assume you're looking at the same for the 2nd part of your stay.

I would not recommend the Imperial Boathouse or Centara Grand. While both are perfectly decent 4 star hotels, you'll be seriously disappointed after the FS. Vana Belle is more upmarket and brand new but still a good 20/25 minutes walk from shops and restaurants. The hotels brand new but I don't think they do villas, only rooms so not sure if that's what you're after. Sala Samuis a 5 star hotel and has villa accommodation but they'll be smaller than the villas at FS. Its on a stunning beach (Choeng Mon) and has 30 bars and restaurants within 2 minutes walk of the hotel. A few shops but not many. Its 10 minutes in either direct to Bhoput and Chaweng. This hotel will give you the location you're after but the compromise here is that its not going to be of the same standard as FS (but then its a lot cheaper), the villas are only semi detached and surrounded by 8 foot concrete walls, so no killer views from the villas but you'll get the views from the beach. Its a great area for families.

Hansars nice but no villas and if you're sharing a room with your daughter, probably too small and lacks privacy due to the bathrooms design. Anatara Bhuput do very nice villas with modern interiors but not sure whether they do 2 bedroom villas or just 1 bedroom. Great location, very close to Fishermans village so lots of bars restaurants and shops within easy walking distance. Compromise here is that the beachfront villas are on a public beach so can be looked into by passers by and the sand is grainy not soft white sand (the sand wouldn't bother me but its an important issue for some). Again, like Sala Samui very, very nice 5 star hotel but not in the same league as FS but it should be reflected in the price.

Another one to consider might be Tongsai Bay. Their villas are spacious, all have killer views over the stunning grounds and bay that Tongsai sits in. The villa interiors are luxurious but more rustic luxurious than minimalist modern luxurious. Its 10 minutes walk to Choeng Mon beach (get the buggy boys to drop you at the main road) so although not surrounded by restaurants, you can walk to them but the roads unlit at night so we always take cabs back (2 minutes from hotel to beach). As with Sala, 10 minutes by cab to Bhoput and Chaweng. As with all the other hotels, won't be as luxurious as FS but this might be the closest you'll get to luxury villas that offer privacy but still within walking distance of some form of restaurants, bars and shops and it will be a lot cheaper than FS, which will free up money for the cab rides to the busier areas. They do have a stunning 2 bedroom villas right on the edge of the resort with a big L shaped pool. Amazing views over both Tongsai and Choeng Mon Bays.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,933 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to Stay??????

I was also going to suggest Sala Samui!

Tongson bay, koh...
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to Stay??????

hi all

personally salas only 4 star [and nothing near 4 seasons ]

Banyan is definitely 5 star

napasi [by oriental express ] has private villas [very nice]

personally i would rent a vehicle and stay in luxury and go where you choose

4 seasons has some great restaurants just down the hill below [both ways ] and easily walkable

going back up the hill might not be so easy [depends on you fitness levels ]

banyan has also many places within walking distance[beach republic a few hundred metres away for one option]

Muang samui villas and suites [choeng mon might be worth a look]

on the beach with many restaurants on either side along the beach [not sure how many stars]

you could rent a private villa and butler and cook and driver for 4 seasons price as an alternative

cheers

Dean cleeton

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to Stay??????

thanks so much for all your great options. I think we have decided that nice accommodation far outways being close to shops and restaurants as we can get a cab very easily. What would be your pick of a luxury resort to give us another location on Koh Samui. We really like nice white sand and would really love to be able to snorkel close by. Once again thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it.

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to Stay??????

The two that are on a par accommodation wise with FS are Banyan Tree and the Conrad. Although its a little too concrete for me, Banyan Tree has very high end villas spread out among coconut trees. Some are more private than others, so choose your villa carefully if privacy is important - some of the lower villas can be overlooked by those higher on the hill. Also, there are lots of rocks just below the surface of the water so you'll have to wear protective shoes in the water (which the resort provides). Its a private beach though so no hawkers and stray dogs which is a major plus on Samui. Its about 10 minutes to Chaweng by cab so pretty good if you fancy a day shopping or a night experiencing the madness that is central Chaweng. I would not choose the Conrad given your criteria as it doesn't have a beach as such, just the narrowest strip of sand and a concrete jetty to swim off. Also, its at least 40 minutes drive to both Bhoput and Chaweng so not that convenient if you want to be close to the two most popular tourist resorts for shopping/eating out purposes. Personally I also don't like the rack and stack feel of the concrete villas at the Conrad. Personal choice of course and some love the minimalist clean lines that concrete provides. Of the two I think Banyan Tree matches your criteria better than the Conrad.

The next best on the island are Tongsai Bay and Napsai. Napasai is part of the Orient express group and I've stayed in their hotels elsewhere in Asia and they're generally very good but Napsai Samui has recently had mixed reviews about both the accommodation and food.

I'd look at the TA reviews for all 4 and particularly the traveller's photos to see which suits your style best. They're all very different in look, feel and location.

Edited: 4:58 am, July 15, 2013
8. Re: Where to Stay??????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 17, 2014