We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will my holiday be ruined by clouds and rain in Koh Samui?!

2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Will my holiday be ruined by clouds and rain in Koh Samui?!

Hi everyone,

I am traveling to Koh Samui on May 13th for 7 days. I will then stay on Koh Tao for 7 days. I am really excited about my holiday however, I am very worried because the weather forecast is just showing overcast clouds and rain.

Please can someone update me on the weather in Koh Samui? What is the forecast for mid May?

If you have travelled to Koh Samui and Koh Tao in mid May, how was the weather?

Thanks,,

Lisa x

Wales
Level Contributor
573 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will my holiday be ruined by clouds and rain in Koh Samui?!

Check out the FAQ's about the weather all the info you should need is there.Most forcasts show rain and thunder every day. Ignore this most likely you will have lovely weather and maybe a shower during your stay. Rain tends to come quickly and heavily but it doesn't usually last long not like this country.

Enjoy Samui I will be there for 3 weeks in August it can't come quick enough!!!

London, England...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will my holiday be ruined by clouds and rain in Koh Samui?!

Hi there,

I am travelling to Koh Samui on 13th May also and this will be my first visit. I too am worried about the rain as I understand the chances increase from May onwards. I shall ignore the forecast and hope for the best!!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will my holiday be ruined by clouds and rain in Koh Samui?!

I am a bit confused why this is not something people look into before they book holidays on the other side of the world. Just like I would not book a holiday to the UK with out first checking what the usual weather pattern is at certain times of the year. Bearing in mind that the whole world can have a usual weather pattern for a certain time of the year but it can turn out to be total opposite to what usual is.

Also if you have booked and are all set to go soon there is no point in being worried as that will not do anything to the situation except stress yourself.

In saying that Bopa is exactly right about looking at weather forecasts as Samui is a tropical island and the weather forecast often shows thunder and rain and you will bound to get a heavy downpour on the odd day but it usually only lasts for an hour and is a big welcome to slightly cool off for that short time.

Dont be fooled by thinking overcast is cold and you will go home without a tan. Overcast days in Samui are very hot and you can burn very easy on these days.

I am certain you will be using alot of sunscreen most days for your holiday as mid May is a great time to go.

Again as mentioned check out the FAQ on weather on the right hand side or do a search at the top of your post for "weather in May"

Sit back and relax and count the days down to what I am sure will be a fantastic holiday. All the best.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will my holiday be ruined by clouds and rain in Koh Samui?!

Weather should be pretty good at this time of year.

You can check out a daily weather update from Camille who lives on Samui here :

http://samui-weather.blogspot.co.nz/

Mansfield
Level Contributor
608 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will my holiday be ruined by clouds and rain in Koh Samui?!

A holiday on KS in May is more likely to be ruined by too much sun

TBH clouds and rain in May can be very welcoming!!!

MelbourneAustralia
Level Contributor
339 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will my holiday be ruined by clouds and rain in Koh Samui?!

Well said Thai music, fairly strong statement about holiday being ruined by clouds and rain. I am amazed the number of times people come on this forum in panic a short time out before they leave worried about the weather. I would have expected that people would have done their research before even booking a time of year they intend travelling to their destination of choice and are fully imformed and prepared for the possible weather. Like many others have said, this is a tropical destination and with it comes a degree of unpredictability with the weather. Last June was a little different to the previous June and it rained almost non stop for the first 2 days we were in Koh Phangan, did it ruin our holiday, no way, went for a walk in the rain then ended up at a few bars and restaurants.

I agree also with Mansfield Topcat, if we had cloudless skies the whole time we were there, although I love the sun, I would fry and the heat would be far greater, an occassional rain shower sometimes is a welcome relief.

Some people need to research more and utilise the top questions more on the right hand side of this forum and not take as gospel every web site they look at re weather in Samui, the following is a web site that I have found a bit more realistic re weather expectations and forecasts, including past history.

wunderground.com/weather-forecast/TH/Ko_Samu…

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,395 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will my holiday be ruined by clouds and rain in Koh Samui?!

I would just cancel the trip altogether to be on the safe side.

Cheers

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Will my holiday be ruined by clouds and rain in Koh Samui?!

Oh FP that made me laugh.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Will my holiday be ruined by clouds and rain in Koh Samui?!

FP gave me a giggle also and that was what I was wondering, what do they expect to do? Call in the magic weather fairy??

I guess i was a bit harsh but I own a tourist shop in our country and my customers are always complaining if it is cold or wet when we are on the fringes of changing season and it drives me mad as summer is not summer every day and winter is not winter every day. Changeable weather!

The good thing is the OP's should have a fairly nice run of weather, give or take a bit.

MelbourneAustralia
Level Contributor
339 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Will my holiday be ruined by clouds and rain in Koh Samui?!

FP, yeah I had a laugh also about cancelling, a bit of cloud or rain would not ruin most peoples' holidays. re the weather in various parts of the world, listening to triple M breakfast show driving into work this morning in melbourne and the regular british foreign correspondent came on and said that after all the rain and snow the UK had had, they now have a heat wave, when asked what temperature it was he said sunny and 23c, which gave them a laugh We are only a few weeks away from winter and it is between the low to mid 20's in Perth, Melb & Sydney today.

Thaimusic wouldn't say you were a bit harsh, more so honest, but then again if rain and clouds will "ruin" a holiday there is always the choice of a sunny 23c instead of mid to high 30's with a bit of liquid sunshine thrown in along with cocktails, food and the land of smiles !

4 weeks to go today, still with a limp from the after effects of a broken hip, but will that ruin my holiday....... No way, hanging out for the cocktails which might cure my limp, even if only at night time !