We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you eat salad?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Do you eat salad?

Strange question, I know!

On our last trip to Thailand 5 years ago, we didn't eat any salad purely to avoid getting a tummy bug (worried about the water it's been washed in)

We'll be in samui soon and I'm wondering whether I was just too paranoid last time....do you eat it?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Do you eat salad?

I'll stay away from oysters :(

What I don't get is...if we're not supposed to drink tap water, why is it ok to eat stuff that's been washed in tap water?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
979 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Do you eat salad?

Hi

I eat any salad anywhere Farang or Thai style but as Pea says.... no oysters!!!

But I love them and that's what gets me everytime! Nothing that is hard to fix if onto it fast but if it is left too long it's not fun. One day I will learn.

Quantity of drinking and washing water consumption is quite different. You need a certain amount of bacteria to do harm.

A bit like a cold, a small amount your body can fight and more exposure it cannot. Well that is my theory anyhow.

Too many good salads in Thailand to give them a miss in MHO so go for what is more important to you.

Canberra
Level Contributor
580 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Do you eat salad?

Oysters Thai style are great, each oyster is 2-4 mouth fulls, with all the herby/spicy additions, Five islands restaurant does it well, although last year in June the weather wasn't good for harvesting oysters. :-(

Never had a problem with oysters on Samui.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Do you eat salad?

Never had a problem with the salad or vegetables in Samui.

Thaimusic I think is right, a liitle washed water is ok, a lot drunk would not be.

Avoid the oysters in the night markets, brought me undone with food poisoning for days on one trip.

Tongson bay, koh...
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Do you eat salad?

hi guys

we get asked the same question about ice on samui by our guests also

personally i can drink the tap water as long as its mostly clear

samui gets its[government ] water from many places including a small desalination plant [pure water]

however many places dont have access to the government supply so are using Deep wells for their water supply[ this i personally drink also]

many restaurants wash using bottled water [bought in bulk 20 litre containers] including many local small roadside places as they use this for serving as drinking water as well

this drinking water is also used by all [that ive every seen ]places that make ice for the restaurant trade

on samui we also have available hydroponic salad veges [lettuce especially]which are sold to many restaurants and sold at many open food markets

and if you are in need of a good salad ,try Angelas diner in Maenam

oldest bakery on samui and pretty sure she washes her salads with clean water

cheers

DC

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,951 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Do you eat salad?

The papaya salad (Som Tam) comes out of the papaya fruit so is usually freshly peeled and isn't an issue, the tomatoes would be the only thing to worry about, but having consumed the amount of som tam that I have over the years and never had a problem, I say it's not a problem (unless they put too many chilli's in!).

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,934 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Do you eat salad?

We eat salad, and lots of somtam.

Prawns in a salad (ie not arriving at the table piping hot) are the only thing I have ever had an issue with.

18. Re: Do you eat salad?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:39 pm, March 12, 2013
19. Re: Do you eat salad?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 14, 2014