We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time Koh Samui

Queensland
Level Contributor
113 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
First time Koh Samui

Never been here, been BK, KL/ Phuket/Bali/Vietnam//Penang. I Love shops/eating & drinking would this be too lay back? are there markets here? Help me please.

8lindy

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time Koh Samui

Hi

Yes koh Samui has markets but not as big scale as Phuket, Bangkok or Bali. Koh Samui is definitely laid back than the places you have been ( can't comment on Vietnam i have never been). Koh Samui is just a small island but you can do island hopping and plenty of activity both at sea and on land.

You will find lots or restaurants, shops and bars both on beach and on the main road.

Majority of resort in koh Samui re beach front just a few steps and you're on the beach. Koh Samui can be busy or relax laid back in how you make it.

I think chaweng beach around central might fit in with you.

Cheers,

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time Koh Samui

You don't say when you're planning the trip it might be important weatherwise.

Queensland
Level Contributor
113 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time Koh Samui

ok. I have booked to go back to KL on the 3/5/13 thanks

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,427 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time Koh Samui

Hi

Agree, but whilst Samui is smaller you will find done great shopping.

Personally I prefer shopping in Samui to Penang, and buy things in Samui that I don't see in Phuket or are cheaper. Prices are similar to Phuket, but some things a but more some a but less.

Kuala Lumpur is different again, being a city. Malls in KL same as jungceylon; whilst in KL Chinatown is like beach road, Chawang in Samui or OTOP and the markets in Phuket.

May weather should be ok.

Queensland
Level Contributor
113 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time Koh Samui

What is the best airline to get to Koh Samui from KL? Thanks

8lindy

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time Koh Samui

If fly direct from KL to koh Samui the best and quickest is Bangkok airways.

Queensland
Level Contributor
113 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time Koh Samui

Thanks, thought i may go to Bankok for a few days then over to Samui, any suggestions on best places to stay in BK? & also best airline to use from BK. to Samui.

8lindy

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time Koh Samui

In that case fly from KL to Bangkok ( with either Malaysia airlines or air Asia ). From Bangkok if you want fly direct to koh Samui you have a choice of Bangkok airways ( 12 flights daily) or Thai airways ( 2 flights daily). The cheapest way is to fly from Bangkok to Surat Thani by either Nok airs or air Asia, land and ferry. Both Nok airs and air Asia offers airs + land + ferry combinations.

In Bangkok recent trip we stayed at Siam @ Siam close to BST station 5-10 mins walk to all the malls the like of Siam paragon, Siam discovery and MBK. The hotel situated in Siam area very central.

Queensland
Level Contributor
113 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time Koh Samui

Thanks for your infomation 8lindy

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time Koh Samui

Forgot to add air Asia and Nok fly to and from DMK ( the old international airport). Bangkok airways and Thai airways fly to and from Suvarnnabhumi airport ( new international airport) :)