We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time visit to Thailand

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
1st time visit to Thailand

Dear TA.

First of all, thanks for taking your time to read & answer my questions. I really appreciate all the help that i get in here :)

I'm coming to Bangkok/Koh Samui for the whole month of June. Starting with 3 days in Bangkok, then heading 16 days to the Mimosa Resort & Spa at Mae Nam beach, where we've choose a villa w/pool and spa.

After this, we're looking for accommondation for 6 nights at Koh Samui, but we don't know what to look for. The 16 days at Mimosa is all about relaxation, and we're wondering if it gets boring in the end (couple, 27 years old both, used to roadtrips in the USA)

Would a hotel around Chaweng beach or Lamai be more us, or is it about the same all over the Island?

That was it for now, but im sure we're having a lot of questions before our arrival, and we hope you'll answer them :-)

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards /Martin N

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 1st time visit to Thailand

With a month to stay, I would split up the trip between Phangan, Samui and Koh Tao perhaps.

Phangan is more laid back than Samui. This is why we have chosen to spend 7 nights here this coming June in addition to our 10 nights on Samui.

Koh Tao has fantastic diving and snorkelling so if you like that, then its probably a good choice for a few days.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 1st time visit to Thailand

For scuba diving checkout TA listed on top of this page there are many company with reviews.

Another vote foe spliting your stay to koh phagnan and koh Tao ( best for diving and snorkeling ) you can't actually dive from koh Samui. All dive company operate in koh Samui would take you to koh Tao any way so it make sense to stay there and return to koh Samui on the later dates ( if you have flight to catch back to Bangkok) . There are boat / ferry operates between these islands daily and frequently.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 1st time visit to Thailand

Thank you all. Maybe we should consider staying the last 5/6 nights on Koh Tao and do some scuba diving. Will check it out asap.

Looking so much forward, this is gonna be a nice trip!

Any comments on the food cost? 2 people, 2 meals a day, (lunch & dinner) prefer locally / regular food.

Thx! You are the best :)

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 1st time visit to Thailand

For price or food and drinks its depends on where you you have it. If eat locally ( not in the resort or fancy restaurant) meals a day with a drink or two could be anything from $20-30 per day, I don't or never budgeted :-)

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: 1st time visit to Thailand

Sounds great. We budget around 100$ a day for food when traveling in the United States, so saving 2/3 of that amount sounds fantastic!

Tongson bay, koh...
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: 1st time visit to Thailand

hi guys

great you are coming for a good length of time

definitly would go to Koh tao for the 6 days and do your diving course

i did mine there a few years ago

it normally takes 3 days anyway and its cheaper to do it in Tao[than samui] and many places will include the accommodation in the course price

3 day course is about 10,000 baht up wards and one of the best places in the world to do it

and the bonus being if you like it you can just do some more

you could also stop over in Phangan as well

good luck

Dean cleeton

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: 1st time visit to Thailand

Anyone with experience from

http://www.divesearobin.com/ ?

They have the full padi course + 4 nights at a hotel closeby for 18.000baht - 20% discount booking in advance.

Is it worth staying close to the dive center or?!

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: 1st time visit to Thailand

No need to IMHO Maenam area( mimosa resort) is not that far to Cheonmon beach ( dive center). By taxi between these two probably 20-25 mins give or take.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: 1st time visit to Thailand

We do only pay about 60$ for 4 nights at the hotel included in the padi course, so that's a hard one to beat. And then we are just next to the dive center, and still within distance to the bigger cities.

Just booked my 3 nights in Bangkok, looking so much forward to this trip!

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: 1st time visit to Thailand

Down to 46 days, and im sitting here at home, looking at the blue sky and thinking about our trip... Wondering how Thailand is, versus our normal travel destination to the United States.

Looking forward to relaxation, good food, sun, a peaceful time and the lovely beaches.

Bangkok for 3 days

Koh Samui for 16 days

Full moon party Koh Phangan for 3 days

2 days that we haven't decided & finally 3 days bangkok before going home.

Life is good today, and i just wanted to let you know.

Take care out there.

/Martin N